• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Tank Sealing

JT30car

Donation Time
I'm getting ready to pull my gas tanks from my sv and sealing them, I've read all I can find on the forum about this and pretty much know what I'm going to do. I'm going to use por15 sealer kit. My question is, does this sealer hold up over time, no cracking, peeling, clogged gas lines, etc? I've always been real skeptical about putting anything in a gas tank other than gas. I don't want to have to pull the things out of the car again 5 years down the road and repeat the sealing process. I also realize that initial preperation is the key factor here.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
You say you've read everything "on the forum". But you do not mention reading the article under "Feature Articles". I hope you read that also.

Tom

JT30car

Donation Time
Yes I read the article and the secret off sealing the tanks is proper preperation-But the question is still, after many years of gas sitting in the tank has anyone had any problems with the sealer loosing up.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't think you will be able to get any real long term data from this board. The problem did not really exhibit itself until about 10 years ago. I can tell you my tanks were treated with POR 15 about 6-7 years ago, but have been been exposed to gasoline only about 3 years. I can say so far, so good.

I have not heard anyone complaining about the POR 15 treatment failing.

I don't think a fellow has an option to treat or not to treat. It is which treatment are you going to use. Without treatment you will fight eternal sloughing and rusty gasoline. If you choose to clean and not treat, you will have to contend only with rusty gasoline and rapidly deteriorating tanks.

Bill

JT30car

Donation Time
Thank-you thats what I needed to know-my car has been siting for almost 20 years with nothing it the tanks, I'm sure they are quite rusty and full of varnish and other impurits.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
I treated my tanks with POR15 a couple of years ago and I highly recommend it. However as with most jobs the key to long term success lies with the preparation.

I had the tanks 'boiled out' and pressure tested at a radiator shop first. I then thoroughly cleaned them inside using the POR 15 marine clean then metal prep (lots of vigorous shaking with a length of steel chain inside each tank) before finally coating with the tank sealer. I rotated the tanks many times to make sure every surface was covered. The coating itself is very tough and adheres tenaciously to anything it comes in contact with (including tools, the floor, your skin, etc) and is very difficult to remove!

I’m pretty confident it will last a long time.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I treated my SV's gas tanks with Eastwood's tank sealer over 25 years ago... still holding up just fine - not a sign of rust.

sunbeam39

Donation Time
OK

Was thinking about taking my Series 1 tank out and throwing it away, no dents, cracks or anything actually holds gas too. But thought I would update and upgrade to a fuel cell. But thinking I'll save a few hundred and use it to buy a can or two of POR15 tank treatment and some other parts I need instead, thanks for posts such as this.:D

serIIalpine

Donation Time
You can save yourself a lot of trouble and headaches by taking your tank to a radiator shop and have it cleaned inside and out and then lined with the red tank liner they use.

I did this over ten years ago and I recently had my sending unit out and inspected the interior of the tank and it looks like it did when I installed it.

The sealant is sold throughout and not pealing, flaking or bubbling anywhere.

I would imagine the por15 is an excellent product but there's no way you can get your tank clean enough at home for it to do it's job properly.

I guess you could have them dip and clean the tank for you and then you could line it yourself.

Good luck.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
The POR-15 or a product called KREME both work very well, I'v used them both over the years in modified and scratch built motorcycle tanks. Surface prep is the key.
My question is how do you get the tanks out?? 67 sV and part of the trunk spring mechanism sticks down....Whats the trick guys??

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take your trunk springs off and the trunk hinges will then spin around out of the way. Be careful they can pack a punch and be very dangerous unhooking them.

Cheers,

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
My question is how do you get the tanks out?? 67 sV and part of the trunk spring mechanism sticks down....Whats the trick guys??

You can do it without undoing the springs. If you unbolt 1 hinge at a time you can rotate it out of the way enough to get the tank out. Remove the tank on that side, bolt the hinge back up and move to the other side. Leaving one side connected usually keeps the trunk up.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is very important to remember they will come out, and they will go back in without destroying the car. Same with reinstalling the cross tube and hoses.

Bill

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Take your trunk springs off and the trunk hinges will then spin around out of the way

thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!! Worked like a charm..
Marty