• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Tees for Strombergs

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm keeping the Strombergs...

I tried fitting rubber fuel hoses onto each nipple, but I was nowhere near getting both hoses on at the same time. Maybe there are thinner fuel hoses out there than what I have. Maybe you need to cut the fuel nipples to make them shorter to allow more clearance to fit hoses. Maybe I needed thinner hoses and I needed to cut the nipples...

Anyways, I was able to fabricate a brass tee with compression joints with minimum work. I started with a simple 1/4" tube union joint with compression fittings, drilled a 1/4" hole in the center, then soldered in a fuel supply tube from the original nylon fuel tee. There is enough clearance in the middle of the joint for the fuel nipples to clear. So the extent of my "machining" was just drilling a hole.

Here are a couple of pictures:
http://mhartman.net/photos/Sunbeam/20131201-001_new_fuel_tee.JPG
http://mhartman.net/photos/Sunbeam/20131202-009_new_fuel_tee.JPG

It will be installed shortly. I plan to create a PDF with detailed instructions, photos, and parts info in case someone else wants to duplicate the work. It is one more option for those of us keeping Strombergs.

Thanks for the great suggestions on the options for replacing the original fuel tee.

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I'm keeping mine on my '67 Commodore Blue.

If and when you get the PDF file ready plesse send me one at:

Last edited:

agmason54

Donation Time
Thor
I had the same setup years ago.As matter of fact l sold the carbs to the guy who sold me the car.l thought they looked hunky dory also...That is until they failed. My latest way works and is an easy fix in case of a leak.l agree that setup looks cool now as tewnty years ago when l first did it but l suspect you dont drive across the country so take it from one who has or not....
Later
Al Mason

Last edited:

agmason54

Donation Time
I just had to look closer at Thor's T picture.lf you look closely you will notice that the fuel inlet tubes do not face one another perfectly.ln other words the T is cocked.
I bet the rear carb will leak and when you tighten it up the fitting it will crush the inlet tube making it leak worse than before.l just went through all this in July.l thought one carb of my original setup had been replaced since both tubes did not line up but mine lay identical to Thor's tubes.ln my opinion anyone who runs Strombergs is a fool but this fool(ME)knows enough about them to go drive anywhere.
Yes the brass setup looks better. Its nothing new but mine works better going down the highway.
Agm

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Many Thanks, for your fine work and design. I'm going to do a Tee too!

DanR

P.S. Mike do you plan to make any for sale? Might be a great idea....

Last edited: