• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel pump cam follower damaged

Mike snyder

Donation Time
I'm swapping the cam in my SIV and when I removed the current cam (1.5 years old) there are three deep scars on the fuel pump cam. The fuel pump is a glass bowel type that has worked great. What is going on? And how do I prevent this on the new cam?
Thanks!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You might have the wrong fuel pump installed. I have seen a few cams with grooved, fuel pump lobes. I had a few cams re-welded & repaired and used again.
A lot of the same fuel pumps were used in many brands, but they had different lifter arms, and some look "almost" identical to the Sunbeams and appear to fit into the engine too, only to wipe out the cam lobe in minutes.
Jan

Mike snyder

Donation Time
That might be the problem. I got the car with the engine disassembled and a box accessory parts. One of which was the fuel pump.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, too bad that you couldn't compare the lever arms...or just replace the Sunbeam lever arm to the new fuel pump. That will work just fine too.
Jan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There should have been a spacer between the pump and the block. Without that spacer the cam can become damaged. Did your pump have the spacer?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike,

Is this the warmed motor with Dcoe's? Maybe ads an electric pump.. Just male sure its a low psi but high flow pump, or install a regulator. Solves the cam issue and if your motor is really warmed over the stock pump at times can struggle to keep up with the demands of 2xDcoe at higher rpm

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah. Don’t.

Seriously.

The mechanical pump works superbly - just the right pressure and volume, and they have way lower fail rates than an electrical pump.