• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel pump block plate?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
You are talking about the 4 cylinder, right?

I think the 1592cc motor has a blanking plate already for an alternative pump location.... I suspect somebody out there has a dead 1592 they can spare the blanking plate.

Or it isn't that hard to use the old pump face as a pattern and cut one out of aluminum.

Steve

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I just did that as well. Hope .025 is thick enough. Used a good dose of gasket sealer with it.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Maybe I should take the one I made to a machine shop and get a thicker one made. How thick?

britbeam

Donation Time
Maybe I should take the one I made to a machine shop and get a thicker one made. How thick?

1/4 " (.250) will be plenty thick but dont sweat it if your piece of donor metal is a little thicker. I made mine in the garage no machining neccessary.Sealant will take up any small defugleties.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah 1/4 or 5/16 some where around there just used a piece of scrap, a hack saw to rough the shape and a course file to fine tune it a bit then a finer file and once it was on the block and painted you can hardly even notice it.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I found a heavy galvanized gate hinge in a box of my junk. One end of it was almost exactly the shape of one end of the block gasket--even had a 3/8 hole that was close enough to the M7 on the block, so I traced the gasket design on it and cut it with a cut-off wheel and some shaping work with the bench grinder. Looks pretty good and should be strong enough to hold any pressure this engine develops.

D

db2.8

Does anybody install a small piece of rod in the block and then put on the block off plate? I have read about people doing this. I believe it may help a loss in oil pressure. I am not sure if it applies to the 2.8.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Does anybody install a small piece of rod in the block and then put on the block off plate? I have read about people doing this. I believe it may help a loss in oil pressure. I am not sure if it applies to the 2.8.
Hi Dennis,

I have never put the rod back in, and have never had a problem with oil pressure. I think the rod gets lubricated from splash that lubricates the cam and runs down the rod bore. This rod rides on a cam eccentric and is lubed like the lifters are.

Jose :)