• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel gauge not working

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
I converted my Series II to negative ground recently and thought everything went really well until I noticed my fuel gauge is no longer working. Checked all the connections. The gauge light works but the needle is not moving. By changing to negative ground, does that effect the sending unit and/or gauge?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fuel and temp gauges and senders are not polarity sensitive.
Is the temperature gauge working?
Since the gauge light comes on, it would seem the gauge case is grounded ok.
See attached doc. There are some trouble shooting steps on page 6.

Mike

Attachments

• fuel & temp gauges series 1&2 v1-1 inprog.pdf
    687.3 KB · Views: 25

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
Thanks for the response. Yes, temp gauge working fine. I'll work through this and let you know what I find. Just found a spare fuel gauge that I may also try.
Pete

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Make sure the wire is attached to the sender at the tank. I had one that looked to be connected
yet wasn't.

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
It may be the gauge. Followed the troubleshooting tips from Mike. I've got power to the gauge. When I disconnected the fuel sender wire, the gauge did not peg high. When I ground the fuel sender wire, the gauge did not peg low. Did some tests on the resistance of the fuel gauge as called out in the doc Mike sent. Similar readings. 60 ohms between the terminals B & T. Between T and Ground was a little over 100 ohms. Or could it be the sending unit? I've have a new rebel wiring harness installed and traced the connections for any issues but none found. What is a good substitute gas gauge? VDO?

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
I already have another that appears to be bad as well!
Fuel and temp gauges and senders are not polarity sensitive.
Is the temperature gauge working?
Since the gauge light comes on, it would seem the gauge case is grounded ok.
See attached doc. There are some trouble shooting steps on page 6.

Mike
Mike, Followed your troubleshooting tips. I've got power to the gauge. Retraced my electrical connections and all good. When I disconnected the fuel sender wire, the gauge did not peg high. When I ground the fuel sender wire, the gauge did not peg low. Did some tests on the resistance of the fuel gauge as called out in your doc. Similar readings. 60 ohms between the terminals B & T and between T and Ground was a little over 100 ohms. Could it be the sending unit? Is there a way to test while on the tank? Also tried another gas gauge I had with similar results. Don't know if either gauge ever worked. Are these prone to fail?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I converted my Series II to negative ground recently and thought everything went really well until I noticed my fuel gauge is no longer working. Checked all the connections. The gauge light works but the needle is not moving. By changing to negative ground, does that effect the sending unit and/or gauge?
At the back of the guages you could swap the wires between fuel and temp gauge; if the temp gauge moves with power on, you know that the circuit is good from tank sender to gauge ,

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think the gauges are pretty reliable. Since you have tried two fuel gauges with the same result, I suspect something isn't wired correctly.

Verify the gauge housing has a good ground. Test the resistance between the gauge housing and another good ground point. It should be less than an ohm. Also double check the gauge light comes on.

Then I would double check the test where you disconnect the fuel sender wire from terminal "T" on the gauge. The gauge needle should peg high. Verify the "B" terminal has +12V (or higher if the car is running).

At the moment, there is no reason to assume you have any issue with the fuel sender, as the fuel gauge is not reacting as it should when you have disconnected the fuel sender wire from the fuel gauge.

Mike

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
I think the gauges are pretty reliable. Since you have tried two fuel gauges with the same result, I suspect something isn't wired correctly.

Verify the gauge housing has a good ground. Test the resistance between the gauge housing and another good ground point. It should be less than an ohm. Also double check the gauge light comes on.

Then I would double check the test where you disconnect the fuel sender wire from terminal "T" on the gauge. The gauge needle should peg high. Verify the "B" terminal has +12V (or higher if the car is running).

At the moment, there is no reason to assume you have any issue with the fuel sender, as the fuel gauge is not reacting as it should when you have disconnected the fuel sender wire from the fuel gauge.

Mike
Cleaned up all contact points. All grounds cleaned. Illumination light working. Verified that I have 12V going to the "B" terminal. Disconnected the fuel sender wire from the "T" terminal. Nothing. Grounded the "T" terminal. Still nothing. May open up the gauge to see if there is anything obvious.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
That sounds like your gauge has an issue ...

You have a second fuel gauge? You could try bench testing it if you have something that can provide the 12 volts. If not, you could try swapping it in (again I guess?) and perform the same tests.

Mike

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
That sounds like your gauge has an issue ...

You have a second fuel gauge? You could try bench testing it if you have something that can provide the 12 volts. If not, you could try swapping it in (again I guess?) and perform the same tests.

Mike
Mike,
this may be a dumb question, but I was looking at the fuel sending unit. See attached pic. 20180614_203250.jpgThere is a cover plate with 4 screws. Is this a sealed compartment? I slowly loosened a screw and it started to weep gas.

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Turns out that the two fuel gauges were both bad. Decided to buy a $20 fuel gauge on amazon before removing the sending unit. It works. Quite nice. Nice bright LED. It will do for now, but want to get the original gauge rebuilt. Thanks all for the recommendations.