• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front steer radiator clearance

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There ain't any. The radiator and steering rack have major interference issues. I really can't describe the situation, here are some pictures. The radiator is stock Alpine with reversed outlets.IMG_7047.JPG

IMG_7048.JPG

IMG_7049.JPG

If I move the rack to the rear (it would require about 3/4"), the radiator could drop down, but there would be no access to the outlet. The radiator sets on the rack and is about 1 1/2" too high. The rack cannot be lowered that much, at least not with my talents and equipment. Wrong rack?

Best option - cut 1 1/2" off the bottom of the radiator?

Bill

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Have a Radiator Shop shorten the Radiator (from the bottom) ?" Good idea. Looks like I'd loose less (way less, maybe) than 1" of radiator exposed to air flow. A lot of the stock radiator sits below the opening.

"Is there room to rum the outlet from the bottom of the rad?" Good idea, but there would be no way to get the radiator hose to the bottom of the radiator. There's a lot of stuff fighting for space in that general area. Radiator, rack and steering rod. Poor old radiator hose does not have a chance.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, Your radiator is stock with tubes vertical ? Correct? Could you go with a crossflow ? That way you may be able to raise the outlet enough to clear the rack !

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The solution the originator of my project came up with was to incline the radiator. It isn't real clear in this shot, but the bottom of the radiator is at least 2 inches in front of the top.20191226_150113.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
That is what I did, I also mounted it in front of the core support.
RIMG0002-XL.jpg

RIMG0001-XL.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sloped / Angled radiator

Attachments

• 4.0 V6 Modified radiator mount and puller fans  20201025_120929.jpg
    4.0 V6 Modified radiator mount and puller fans 20201025_120929.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.0 V6 Modified radiator mount and puller fans  20201025_120956.jpg
    4.0 V6 Modified radiator mount and puller fans 20201025_120956.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.0 V6 Modified radiator mount and puller fans  20201025_120913.jpg
    4.0 V6 Modified radiator mount and puller fans 20201025_120913.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 34

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A crossflow would probably do it. So would angling the radiator, maybe. It would leave a permanent air bubble in the radiator, which may or may not be a problem. Also the radiator cap may be too high. Stuff to think about.

Dan, do you know how James handled the problem? His rack was mounted higher and farther forward, which I think would make the problem worse.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A crossflow would probably do it. So would angling the radiator, maybe. It would leave a permanent air bubble in the radiator, which may or may not be a problem. Also the radiator cap may be too high. Stuff to think about.

Dan, do you know how James handled the problem? His rack was mounted higher and farther forward, which I think would make the problem worse.

Bill
I think I still have the radiator that was on the Alpine

You can have it...

I'll look when get home

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I now have the radiator that James (owner that installed the front steer) used. Crossflow and only 12 1/2" tall, it clears everything. Only downside - outlets are larger, the lower outlet is much larger, and very long. I think I will cut the outlets back an inch or so and insert stainless steel reducers. That should make everything work, even have a half inch fan clearance!

Bill