• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Brake Rotors

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I think I have a set of usable SII rotors somewhere in the garage that I'd sell cheap. They'd need to be cleaned up, but I think there is enough meat on them. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Jim E

Donation Time
Have seen a stock Alpine/Tiger caliper with a spacer between the halves that allow for a vented rotor. Thinking Dale sells a kit for this.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
IIRC there was an Australian supplier that offered vented rotors for the Humber Super Snipe. Wonder if they also offered it for the Alpine? Can't recall the name right now, so hopefully one of our Australian friends can chime in.

Also, I wonder if these folks could help:

http://www.powerstop.co.uk/home.aspx

Just found a listing for vented discs under the Sunbeam Racing link on this website:

http://www.sunbeamsupreme.co.uk/

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Does anyone know if the vented type disc rotors as available at sunbeam supreme, can be used used with the standard brake calipers or is that part of the kit/upgrade?

Regards, Robin.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Having done big brake kits on a couple of my other cars, I have never run across an application that will work with a stock caliper meant to work with a solid rotor. I suppose it's possible but I find it unlikely.

In the end, a caliper upgrade would make the change a win-win scenario anyway. With the overall effectiveness of the upgrade being better with both rotor and the caliper being more modern higher performance units.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I have put Dale's vented rotor kit for stock calipers on my car, I haven't used them so I can't say if they make a difference in braking but it is a lower cost option (than big brakes).

Basically you get 4 caliper spacers, a couple o-rings, some longer bolts for the calipers and a pair of vented rotors (modified from some unknown application) with bolts for them...and no instructions (fortunately it's pretty basic).

http://www.dalesresto.com/parts.html

Paul

64beam

Donation Time
I have put Dale's vented rotor kit for stock calipers on my car, I haven't used them so I can't say if they make a difference in braking but it is a lower cost option (than big brakes).

Basically you get 4 caliper spacers, a couple o-rings, some longer bolts for the calipers and a pair of vented rotors (modified from some unknown application) with bolts for them...and no instructions (fortunately it's pretty basic).

http://www.dalesresto.com/parts.html

Paul

Hi Paul,

Would you really notice the difference under normal driving condition? Would'nt they only come into play under heavier braking conditions. Another factor being how quickly it could get rid of the heat in the disc's. Let us all know how they perform once you have a chance to test them out.

Thanks, Robin.

66Tiger

Donation Time
Robin,
Under normal Tiger driving condtions I tend to roar up on people. And around here, people like to fill in any vehicle gap when I am trying to leave extra room between me and the car ahead of me.

When I first got my Tiger I was surprised to find the braking reminded me of my old 1966 Plymouth with manual 4-wheel drum brakes...since the Tiger has front discs with a booster and the Plymouth outweighed it by over 1,000 pounds...braking is poor at best.

All I am really hoping for is better consistency of braking and less fading in stop and go street-light racing, err, I mean traffic.

The booster is getting the old heave ho also, with the addition of a smaller bore master cylinder.

Paul

Wombat

Donation Time
IIRC there was an Australian supplier that offered vented rotors for the Humber Super Snipe. Wonder if they also offered it for the Alpine? Can't recall the name right now, so hopefully one of our Australian friends can chime in.

Disc Brakes Australia (www.dba.com.au) list replacement discs for the Humber Super Snipe. These are available slotted or cross-drilled, but they are still solid discs. The only other Rootes listing they have is for the Hillman Hunter. There is also a company called Rotors and Drums Australia (www.rda.com.au), but they require a user name to access the on-line catalogue.

Jim E

Donation Time
Other than a good repaired and operational brake system, booster or no booster and the correct size bore for the master cylinder, I like to try different brake pads on the front. 'Seems like" there is a difference with different compound pads, for just normal driving 'blasting around a bit... the real cheap over the counter pads seem to brake better

Pumpkin

Donation Time
brake pads

Jim, I do quite abit of hilly curvy driving, and have some front pads I installled many years ago from SS I believe.
The brake seem real spongy, having bleed twice it still seems that way. Do you have any suggestions for a better pad? OR do yu think a grinder on a flat furface to clean them would be an advantage. I was going to take the rotors down and have them surfaced also. MAY HELP?

Series ll
Thanks
Chuck

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

Have you power bled the brake system? I don't understand why the Alpine system does it, but it is almost impossible to bleed all the air from the system, unless you power bleed the system. The pedal will feel spongy unless ALL the air is out. Brake pads will fade sooner than some others (depending on composition), but shouldn't make the pedal feel spongy.

Jose :)

Pumpkin

Donation Time
brake pads

Hi Chuck,

Have you power bled the brake system? I don't understand why the Alpine system does it, but it is almost impossible to bleed all the air from the system, unless you power bleed the system. The pedal will feel spongy unless ALL the air is out. Brake pads will fade sooner than some others (depending on composition), but shouldn't make the pedal feel spongy.

Jose :)

My wifes right foot is about the most power I can get on the pedal:eek:
What is a power bleed?
C:confused:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
A power bleeder is one that forces fluid through the system without you having to push the pedal (and in the process potentially making bubbles even worse).

My favorite bleeder is Gunson's Eezibleed... works great and fits almost every Brit car known to man... there's loads of adapters available for all the different Lockheed and Girling masters. I bought mine when I was living in the UK, but I think they're available here in the US, too. (Click the pic.)

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Front brakes

Whoeaa man that looks like something I'd see in a doctors office.:eek: Wheeoo!!

But now that you say that, I have seen them. The idea of more bubbles makes sence too.
Thanks for that one.
Before the investment perhaps a friend here in the great NW has one. It's not often one needs to bleed the brakes.

Chuck

Jim E

Donation Time
I seem to always have trouble getting the air out of the system when someone of the female gender is pumping the brakes....

Have also noticed a big difference in how the pedal feels depending on which hole the brake arm is in, if I recall the hole that sets the pedal higher or closer to the drive makes for a stiffer pedal. Then I could be fooling myself but it is a pretty easy thing to try

I also sugest you bleed the brake system once a year or so, pretty much flush it completely. The only part of the brake system that is hard to bleed well is the rear and then only when you have the goofy cross over brake line where you bleed everything from the one side. I usually toss this cross over pipe and convert it to a line to each side so it is easier to bleed. You also want to have the rear brakes adjusted well to get a good pedal.

The el'cheapO pads I run really only fit S3 to SV but guess you can cut them to fit the early cars. The over the counter pads I have used are the Datsun Z pads and the Saab pads. The cheap units seem pretty soft and do not seem to eat rotors. Would rather spend 20 bucks on pads than have to find rotors. If your rotors are not warped or have grooves or ridges You might try just hitting them with some course sand paper same with the pads just scuff them up a bit and see how it does.

Jim E

Donation Time
1984 Saab 900s turbo pads the cheap ones from say NAPA are the ones I like the best. On a S3 to SV they fit but sometimes you have to dress the metal sides where they slide into the caliper with a file to get the fit right, some are a little wide

Do not recall the Datsun Z car year