• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford V6

tc_157

Donation Time
I have a Mustang II 2.8L V6 for sale. What is considered a reasonable price these days? The matching 4 speed?

Any direction you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi TC,

Depending on condition...
I bought a 2.8 that had not run for years, but "was running when pulled" for $40.
I've seen others go for $50 to $100.
The one installed in my Alpine was $250 and had about $10k miles on the original motor, but that was a deal that you don't find very often.

If it is running and in good shape, you may get $200-300. Machine work is expensive, so if someone is going to rebuild it completely they will have to throw a bit of money at it.

The 4 speed itself isn't desireable for the conversion, but the bell housing and block plate could be worth $100-200.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Last edited:

limey222

Donation Time
Well Team Blitz who specializes on Ford (Mercury) Capri's, many of which came with this engine, sell reconditioned long blocks for $875 with no core required.

I have a Mustang II 2.8L V6 for sale. What is considered a reasonable price these days? The matching 4 speed?

limey222

Donation Time
I just picked up a matching 4-speed from a guy in the Seattle area for $200. I wanted it as a spare. They are not the best gearbox out there but they are also getting hard to find.

gordonra

Donation Time

What components do you have for sale and what condition are they in?

Rich

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh, ya, 2.8's are practically given away nowadays, so I'll PM you immediately!.............

:D ok, ok, I lied.

I bought my reportedly formerly running (yet to be proved) Ranger 2.8 with the 4 speed transmission attached for $300.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Well Team Blitz who specializes on Ford (Mercury) Capri's, many of which came with this engine, sell reconditioned long blocks for $875 with no core required.

I think I know what rebuilt means? What does reconditioned mean? I might want one.

limey222

Donation Time
I think I know what rebuilt means? What does reconditioned mean? I might want one.

My bad, maybe my description was misleading, here's what Team Blitz put in an email to me this week:

If you want a replacement 2.8L in stock configuration, longblock, 875.00, no exchange core required. Complete rotating assembly, timed, no pans, no covers, no electrics, no pumps, ready to go. These feature all the late 2.8L improvements, including better crankshaft, and larger cam. All of our 2.8L engines in this country were designed for unleaded gas which was required here since 1975, straight from Ford. No additional expense needed for hardened valve seats. It is not an issue with North American-spec 2.8Ls.

limey222

Donation Time

Regarding:

If you want a replacement 2.8L in stock configuration, longblock, 875.00, no exchange core required. Complete rotating assembly, timed, no pans, no covers, no electrics, no pumps, ready to go. These feature all the late 2.8L improvements, including better crankshaft, and larger cam. All of our 2.8L engines in this country were designed for unleaded gas which was required here since 1975, straight from Ford. No additional expense needed for hardened valve seats. It is not an issue with North American-spec 2.8Ls.

Please remember that this will be the US version of the 2.8 which mean that the head port configuration is different than on the German heads, specifically the exhaust ports.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

All the 2.8´s were made in Germany. The U.S. spec heads have the three exhaust ports, while the Euro spec had only two.

Jose

Regarding:

Please remember that this will be the US version of the 2.8 which mean that the head port configuration is different than on the German heads, specifically the exhaust ports.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
reconditioned

To answer the reconditioned question

Per S & J Engines of Spokane WA reconditioned is as follows:

1- Completely disassembled and ID for correct application
2- Degreased
3- All blocks, cylinder heads and cranks checked for integrity DCM
4- All bolt holes tapped
5- Oil galleys are cleaned new plugs installed
6- Crankshafts ground to spec, reverse polished and cleaned
7- Conn rods resized, new wrist pins, bushings, pistons, rings
8- Cylinder heads broached and machined three angle cutter, hardened seats with diamond broached valve guides
9- Cylinder heads new valves new springs and new keepers
10- Long blocks new timing components, rockers, pushrods, lifters, camshaft, bearings and gaskets
11- Long block tested on QT-150 simtest machine
12- shipped in plastic and strapped to pallet
13- 7 year non-prorated warranty

Shipped to me in Colorado to my house $1900

Long def BUT...

They do nice work. I have their 292 in my 56 Tbird runs Great

John (Fordtootsie)