• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford v6 blocks

socorob

Donation Time
Does anyone know the differences between the 2.8,2.9 and 4.0 blocks? In the upullit yard a few weeks ago there was a 2.8 bronco2 and 4.0 explorer right next to each other. With just a quick look they looked very similar. How different are they on the inside?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
2.9 to 4.0 uses a timing chain.

2.8 uses gears from the crank to dizzy, so it spins in reverse compared to 2.9/4.0.

The biggest difference between a 2.9 and a 4.0 is the deck height since the 4.0 has a bunch more stroke.

2.8 and 2.9 engines are very similar and have the same deck height IIRC.
The cams are of course different since the 2.9 ports are not staggered as in the
earlier cologne engines.

There are at least several flavors of 4.0 block, the early ones are pushrod the later ones are OHC and the engines are a bit different since the chain goes through the decks.

Its too bad the alpine steering is not compatible on the 2.9, thats a very nice motor.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The 2.8 uses gears from the crank to the cam, so IT spins the opposite of the 2.9 and 4.0. The exhaust port configuration is different on the 2.9 so it won't clear the steering box. Also the 2.9 heads were notorious for cracking.

Blue coyote

Donation Time
The Bronco II/Ranger/86 Aerostar 2.8 are similar to the Mustang II 2.8, although the "truck" version has larger cam journals.

Very little besides the valve covers and flywheel will actually swap from the 2.8 to either the 2.9 or either of the 4.0 versions, and the 2.8 will almost always out-rev any of them.

If you want a Ford carbed V6 then stick with the 2.8. If you want to run EFI, you might look at a 2.9 or 4.0 (I don't know how the steering works out on your cars. I'm a Mustang II guy...)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Blue coyote
78 Rat Snake (black on black T-top King Cobra)
74 Avocado Ghia
78 V8 to V6 UPgrade project
wayy too many spare parts

Don't think I've ever heard of a V8 to V6 UPGRADE.
Depending on what you have, you might be able to unload some of those spare parts here.

Blue coyote

Donation Time
Mike, the stock 5.0 in a Mustang II put out 139 hp and won't rev higher than about 5500 rpm reliably, whereas the snarky little 2.8 I have hanging in the garage as dyno-ed at 195 hp in a Pinto several years ago (before I added a few more goodies) and redlines at almost 8K. When I was tuning the carb one day after dropping it into an 84 Bronco II, I severely peeved a riced-out Prelude owner by blowing his doors off without even realizing he was trying to get in front of me :D

Yes, a 5.0 can be built to produce that much or more power, but my V6 is DEFINITELY an upgrade from the original V8 :cool:

If you need anything from the collection, shoot me an email :)

http://sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13418

Blue coyote

Donation Time
Its been a few years since I've done anything with it, and much of the work was done by a shop for the previous owner, but what I can recall offhand is:

Carter 400 CFM 4-bbl (I'd like to go up a bit more. Regardless of the math, I've always found that the 2.8 likes a bit more carb) on an Offy intake. Dual air inlets with fully functional heat riser valves on a stock air cleaner and K&N filter, MSD 6A with Duraspark distributor

aluminum timing gear, Custom-ground cam (I was told its a bit hotter than an "RV" cam), and I was told that the pistons are forged (never pulled a head or flipped it over to look) Mustang II flywheel/clutch/pressure plate

86 Aerostar shorty "headers" with true dual 2 1/4" stainless exhaust and glasspacks, connected to a Toyo/Kogyo 5-speed and 2.48:1 transfer case, into 4.10 trak/Lok and 32" tires when it was in the Bronco II. Sucker would stand on the rear bumper if I side-stepped the clutch at 3K in any of the first three gears in 2D low range :D

I was also running the stock A/C pump converted to an onboard air setup, which would run any of the usual air tools and a nice set of trumpets...

The guy I got the engine from originally ran it in his Pinto, with a RAD 4, the stock air filter, Duraspark box, stock exhaust, and 13" rims with 3.20's in the 8" diff. He twisted the front subframe over 8" with it :eek: