• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford 260 V8 Long Block ** For Free!!!!!

agmason

Donation Time
Ford 260 V8 Long Block and its free. Engine has around 60,000+ miles and was running okay but should be rebuilt. I have a fresh engine to replace this one, so it has to go. Bellhousing not included. Just bring a hoist and engine cradle and get it out of my garage before my wife throws me out! No shipping and located in Novi, Michigan between Ann Arbor and Detroit.

agmason

Donation Time
Motor was assembled in January 1965 according to the date by the water pump. 5 bolt block ( I will check on the freeze plugs but I'm sure its 3)

Duke

Donation Time
Why would you not want to keep the original engine? I will eventually pull mine and keep it on an engine stand in the corner of the garage. Seems like a no brainer to keep it to me.

66Tiger

Donation Time
...I don't believe it's an original engine and I know that he just built another 260 for his Tiger.

It's pretty common for people just to dump their original 260s, few buyers seem to care.

Paul

Duke

Donation Time
66Tiger said:
It's pretty common for people just to dump their original 260s, few buyers seem to care.

Right now...that could be changing. Having the original engine is more desirable to not having it. I pulled the original water pump off of my engine recently. I plan on having it rebuilt and then will be put on a shelf.

agmason

Donation Time
If it was the original engine I would keep it but its not based on the build date plus what I found removing it. In addition, there really is no way to tell if a engine is original to the car. I'm installing another Ford 260 with a build date before my car assembly date so if anything, it matches better. Ford 260's are pretty much worthless because it costs the same to rebuild a 289 and you may as well have the extra power.

Duke

Donation Time
Ford 260's are pretty much worthless because it costs the same to rebuild a 289 and you may as well have the extra power.

I recently met a guy at a car show with a 64 1/2 Mustang that was his wife's. It had a 289 installed. I asked him about the engine and he said that she made him change it out for the higher HP 289. He did not keep the 260. He was kicking himself a bit because the car would be worth $10K+ more with the original engine. A correct 260 powered Mustang is rare indeed.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I recently met a guy at a car show with a 64 1/2 Mustang that was his wife's. It had a 289 installed. I asked him about the engine and he said that she made him change it out for the higher HP 289. He did not keep the 260. He was kicking himself a bit because the car would be worth $10K+ more with the original engine. A correct 260 powered Mustang is rare indeed.

...that's purely conjecture on his part...there is no way to prove or disprove his claim.

Paul

66Tiger

Donation Time
Not trying to pick a fight with you.

I applaud you for keeping your 260 with your car, and I applaud people even more for keeping it in the car and keeping it stock down to the carb and air cleaner, stock exhaust manifolds...I think people who do that are great.

I have nothing against stock Tigers or keeping the stock motor with a running car but I just don't see it having any resale value with these cars. It's a nice added bonus but not a deal breaker or value adder for most of the population.

The only Tigers I see benefiting from original engines are the cars with the engines still in the cars...and with the original air cleaner and hoses and belts and clamps and spark plug wires... all dressed the nines...kudos to the people who can maintain their vehicles like that.

What's better a Hemi Cuda tribute car? or one with the leaning tower of power Slant 6?

Please note this is all my own personal opinion...

Respectfully,
Paul

Duke

Donation Time
It's a nice added bonus but not a deal breaker or value adder for most of the population.

The only Tigers I see benefiting from original engines are the cars with the engines still in the cars...

See your point but do not agree.

A modified car sold with all of the original parts will be worth more than a modded car with none of the original parts. The fact that the car could be returned to stock as an option adds value to the car vs. having to hunt down all the parts which will not be numbers correct for the vehicle.

I love the slant six, I had one in my 67 Dodge Dart....slant six 225 baby!

dart6.jpg

66Tiger

Donation Time
very cool Slant 6.

What are future generations gonna crave? I just have hard time seeing horsepower being dumped on a regular basis for originality.

Seems like too many Tigers are already too far to the dark side (to steal from the V6 Alpine guys). I thought about collecting stock parts for my car but came to the conclusion that I might as well sell it and buy one already much closer if that's what I so desire...my costs would exceed my return on investment.

Who knows the future...who would have thought "Rat Rods" would be the rage?

I could predict it, then I would be a rich man.

And how about the government, some day they might crush all old cars...then the value is a voucher from them?

Paul

BLISTIC

Donation Time

Ah the wife excuse.

Really 10 k more with the original. Wow what market have I been selling numbers correct cars in..:rolleyes:

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I would have to agree with Duke. Unless the car had some history like a Lemans car's or the Targa Florio car,etc I believe most people want cars that can be returned to stock (or very close to) without too much hassle even if they are modified. I know some of our local collector cars (Falcon XY GTHO & Holden Monaro GTS) in stock form are getting huge dollars in auctions. Matching numbers seem to have higher interest.
I would hate to see what some of the younger generation would do to a Tiger or Alpine with some of their tastes in car modification. Thank god for hi-tech cult car's.

Regards, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
My old motor has three freeze plugs per side making it the so called "later" block versus the two freeze plug per side "old" block.

I agree that keeping a car original as possible in the long run will increase its value. Although the highest price paid at auction for a non historical Sunbeam Tiger is $100,000 + for a heavily modified car (Dale's car). The Tiger market seems to follow its own rules.

The Mustang story only makes sense if the owner had a 100 point concours car with nothing but NOS parts. Ford didn't put serial numbers on engines back then so how could you match up engine with VIN?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
...that's purely conjecture on his part...there is no way to prove or disprove his claim.

Paul

The 64 1/2 Mustang would have indeed been worth more with the vin engine code matching 260. Now if it would have been $10K more is doubtful.