• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

For someone tired of shifting

alpine_64

Donation Time
That said.. Youd need an alloy head and cam and ignition system for it. You need thr shifter and surround and then you still have to make or modify a trans tunnel as b/w35 autos were much wider than a stock manual cars. Also need a throttle set up .. Not a bolt in by any measure

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are tired of shifting, Go with the 2.8 V6 and A4LD in your Alpine:) I have the engine and all components to sit one in! That is what I am doing with one of mine, a '65 SIV GT that came with the Borg Warner BW35. The Car was given to me in a deal where I purchased a one owner Alpine from a friend. The BW35 was long gone and was being planned as a parts car. I "saved" it from the scrap pile!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, does the Alpine automatic transmission tunnel accept the A4LD transmission without modification?

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, I suppose my answer is both a yes and a no, with some explanation! Ugh!

Mating the T5 to the Mutt II bellhousing with the "Bell Crank" is the culprit for the tunnel mod's in the V6 Conversion.

Haven't studied the need for widing the tunnel very much yet because the GT BW35 was modified before I came to the conclusion for the A4LD. I do believe w/o the bell crank and also utilizing the internal Hyd Release bearing seems the best way to get away from the major tunnel modification.

What I mean by, "Haven't studied it..." is my total efforts from the beginning of my first conversion was to do like everyone else did and follow the so called proven way "cut the tunnel and floor pan".

I have since installed the A4LD behind a 2.8 and the 4.0 V6's without difficulty because the tunnel modifications had already been done!

The '65 0766 GT A4LD (formerly BW35) is presently back to being just a shell with everything removed for additional sheet metal work, some repairs and some "modifications".

For the past 6 months my time has been mostly devoted to resolving the cam issue ! Now to get the "Blue Boy" back on the road for the MArch 24 Meet is priority. Hope to see you there!

(Side note: With the Mutt II bellhousing being harder and harder to find I believe there is a simpler way by modifying an Auto C3/4 Bellhousing and using the Hyd release Bearing)..... Anyone tried it yet?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I firmly believe that when you find yourself in a dead end situation, as you are facing with the availability of "proper" (which they are not) bell housings, it is best to back up all the way and reassess the situation and question the initial decissisons that brought you to the currant problem. In other words, is the decision to use the old T5 still a good decision?

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, You probably can, but it has 3.75 first, remote shifter, and you would have to change to a 8.8 rear yoke on the transmission tailshaft. It would require a splined slip joint in the driveshaft. Paul has one with the bellhousing. I don't know if he's experimented with it. It uses an internal hydraulic throw out bearing.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am now going with the HYD Release bearing from RamClutches in my Commodore Blue V6! They are local for me (Columbia, SC) and do a lot of the FORD Mustangs. I met with the owner and a couple shop guys a while back, I'm satisfied with their service capability too!

In my prior post on the Mutt II bell housing I did not mention that a "New" one is available along with a "new" aluminum Timing Cover. Just the cost for both are near $1000 USD's.

Haven't tried the later Mustang tranny's yet, Suppose that will be soon:)