• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flame trap

John Boggis

Donation Time
I think I have got to the bottom of the flame trap question. With some information from the archive centre in the UK and researching other original UK cars, it seems that alpines that had flame traps from the factory, were either a hammered silver finish or a light blueish grey. By late 1969 the flame traps were being supplied by Chrysler as replacement parts and these were painted black.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I think I have got to the bottom of the flame trap question. With some information from the archive centre in the UK and researching other original UK cars, it seems that alpines that had flame traps from the factory, were either a hammered silver finish or a light blueish grey. By late 1969 the flame traps were being supplied by Chrysler as replacement parts and these were painted black.

Finally found the blue trap in my bits, so here's a pic of a light blueish grey flame trap.

The pic was taken at night, indoors, with a flash.

Much of the blue washed out due to the lighting.

I guess folks better paint their traps or loose points on the concours...:)

65beam

Donation Time
allan,
we're both in trouble now. why don't you take that flame trap to a paint dealer and have them scan the color so we have the exact shade. make sure they mix it in the correct 45 year old paint so that it's right. of course it won't be possible to use the paint since we can't get the reducer,etc. the EPA would frown on it also. RATS!!!!!!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have the Dupont SpectraMaster solid color library, and I could color match it to their chips or I have the complete PPG Portor paints library too. And the good thing about those chips is anyone could go tho their store and pick up a free color chip.
Jan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I have the Dupont SpectraMaster solid color library, and I could color match it to their chips or I have the complete PPG Portor paints library too. And the good thing about those chips is anyone could go tho their store and pick up a free color chip.
Jan

Jan,

I've been out of town, just now saw the post.

I'd be happy to box the trap and send it to you for color matching.

Just PM me the mailing address and I'll get it mailed.

Allan

Limey

Donation Time
There is your answer. its moonstone your car isn't it?

Joking aside I hae a NOS unit and a rootes 63 colour swatch. I'll have alook and see if there is a correlation but chances are it is a random colour and not rootes.

Yours, back in the loop

Oliver

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
There is your answer. its moonstone your car isn't it?

Joking aside I hae a NOS unit and a rootes 63 colour swatch. I'll have alook and see if there is a correlation but chances are it is a random colour and not rootes.

Yours, back in the loop

Oliver
My car's factory color was moonstone but I found the trap elsewhere...

Edmund

Donation Time
Does anyone know the original paint colour of the flame trap ?

I’ve just sourced a NOS ‘flame trap’ which is grey in colour whereas I was expecting it to be black, so found this thread when searching for further information.

The part number stamped on the body is 64931 K4. It arrived in an original Genuine AC Parts Service box marked ‘Breather Assy’ part number 7964931, so accords with the content. Interestingly, the box also has a Chrysler UK Parts Division sticker referenced ‘1228004 Flame Trap 1174’.

The component has never been used; I’ve taken a photo which trust is attached. Included is a polyester powder coat chart of similar ‘greys’. IMHO, it’s closest to RAL 7038, Agate Grey. Hope this information helps; it’s too good to put in my engine bay, so will remain in its box for posterity as it only cost £7.50.

Attachments

• Flame Trap.jpg
    Flame Trap.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 55

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe your flame trap has primer on it waiting for a top coat?

The original color on my series V is more of a goldish - silver color. It is in the silver family, but has gold tones. I see the same color on a flame trap that was removed from an earlier series parts car.

See photos.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 54

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Often the "genuine replacement" parts were of a different colour to the items fitted at the time of the car's assembly. Hence we have grey and/or black flame traps popping up as NOS units today.

The OE flame traps were hammertone silver, same as the oil filler cap, various air filter housings, Arrow range rocker covers etc. The silver tends to yellow after years of under hood heat which gives it that "gold" tinge.

alpine_64

Donation Time
So, what is a flame trap, what does it look like, where is it located, etc.?

They are on the alpibes with a pcv system. Not in the early cars with a really as tube.

They are a canister that mounts near the oil filter filler with 2 rubber hoses one to return air into the motor one to draw it out.