• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fitting options for Shift Knobs

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
I picked up one of those vintage AMCO Shift knobs but the threads are wrong for my shift lever. I'm looking at EZ-LOK threaded inserts to adapt the knob to the shifter. Any other ideas out there to make it fit? Thanks

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is the issue? Is the hole in the knob too big or small? Or are the threads just not correct?

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
The hole in the knob is too big. Thread of shift lever is 5/16 - 24. Thread of shift knob is 1/2 - 20. EZ-Locs don't come with an internal 5/16 - 24 thread, and external 1/2 - 20 thread. The closest they come is a 1/2 - 13 external thread.

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
It was suggested to rethread the 1/2-20 threaded hole in the knob with a 1/2-13 tap, and then use the EZ-Loc 1/2-13 threaded adapter. I'm thinking that will really confuse thread lines and may strip easily.

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the M/T knob with adapters photo. That's what I'm looking for, however I have not been able to locate any adapters with a 1/2-20 external, and 5/16-24 internal threads on the web, at Grainger or Fastenall. I'm beginning to think I'll have to find a metal shop that can make an adapter from a 1/2-20 bolt or threaded rod. I appreciate your information though. Rich

gatkeper1

Silver Level Sponsor
You can do this in a drill press. 1/2x20 threaded rod cut to length. drill and tap for 5/16x24 Eazee peazee if you have a tap , drill press and drill press vise

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can do this in a drill press. 1/2x20 threaded rod cut to length. drill and tap for 5/16x24 Eazee peazee if you have a tap , drill press and drill press vise
That is what I'm going to do. Right now, I'm checking with my neighbors to see who has the tools to do it. I have the taps and I know a neighbor with a drill press. A piece of threaded rod is inexpensive and should provide enough materials until we get it right. Thanks for your response. Rich

gatkeper1

Silver Level Sponsor
That is what I'm going to do. Right now, I'm checking with my neighbors to see who has the tools to do it. I have the taps and I know a neighbor with a drill press. A piece of threaded rod is inexpensive and should provide enough materials until we get it right. Thanks for your response. Rich
15 minutes on the drill press start to finish . All I had was a 1/2x13 bolt. 5/32 drill bit followed by a 9/32 then the 5/16x24 tap. Cut to length then done

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 22

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
15 minutes on the drill press start to finish . All I had was a 1/2x13 bolt. 5/32 drill bit followed by a 9/32 then the 5/16x24 tap. Cut to length then done
Too bad you didn't start with a 1/2-20 bolt. I would have bought the finished insert from you. Looks good and not to difficult to do. Thanks

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can make you one on my lathe, how long do you need it?
That's a very kind offer, and one that's hard to refuse. So, I accept your offer to cut an adapter for me and I would be more than willing to compensate you for this effort. Please contact me via email at wizzzbangmotors@gmail.com to get my mailing address.
The size of the adapter needs to be one-half to three quarters inches long with 1/2-20 external threads and 5/16-24 internal threads.
Thank you, I am in your debt. Sunbeam people are great!
Rich

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
All done.
IMG_6411-XL.jpg

IMG_6412-XL.jpg

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow! That was fast and it looks amazing. You must have had a career as a machinist. When you know what you're doing and have the tools to do it, anything is possible.
Thank you...
Rich