• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

First drive

lgurley

Donation Time
Hey Guys,
I took my 2.8 V6 Alpine for the first drive this afternoon. Man, what a car! I am too old to drive fast but you got to try it out. I let off at 90 and then shifted to fifth to see how it handled at cruising speed which to me is 75. Everything seems good but the steering is incredibly quick.I guess that is what is expected of a sports car but after years of power steering it will take a little getting used to. I will probably never drive it that fast again but it was a real thrill. I am looking forward to loads of fun.
I will be uploading some pictures to webshots after dinner and will provide a link then.
I was calling this car Sylvia because of the color but I think she just had a gender reassignment. I may have to come up with a more masculine name.
Thanks to all who helped me and answered my silly questions. There are too many of you to mention but I want you to know you are appreciated.
I will be asking more questions as I proceed with this and other projects.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Looks great larry,

I did see one thing that you should have your mechanic change. The center link should be rolled back toward the firewall, to where it barely clears it. This is so that the steering will go lock to lock without interfering with the bellhousing bolts.

The rest is just stunning. Your mechanic did a bang up job. I am so happy that you were impressed with your Alpine. I try to tell folks that the V6 Alpine is so good, that you never want to get out of it. Please let us know about your adventures in it. What did your mechanic have to say about it? I saw that he'd cut some donuts, but what did he think of how it drives?

Jose

britbeam

Donation Time
Congrats Now you own a true performance Alpine and yea thats the way a sportscar should steer. Drove mine today and it just gets better.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations Larry. It looks terrific. I am curious about the mounting of your exhaust pipes. Is that entirely custom?

lgurley

Donation Time
Congratulations Larry. It looks terrific. I am curious about the mounting of your exhaust pipes. Is that entirely custom?
Hey Jim,
Everything between Jose's headers and the chrome end caps was done by a local muffler shop. I was out of town and didn't get pictures but have plans to put it on a lift and take some this week. Of course I will post when I have them.

lgurley

Donation Time
Looks great. The rest of us will be asking you the questions now. :D
There are many who are better suited than me to answer questions but I will share any information except how much it cost. When you can't do any of the work yourself the shop time is outrageous. I think I could have paid the national debt of a small 3rd world country but it wouldn't have been as much fun.

lgurley

Donation Time
Any engine mods? Looks like you stayed with the 2V carb.
I thought about engine mods but decided that stock was all I needed.
Much of my reason for this conversion was just to cruise on the highway and not have the engine revved out.
I am showing about 2800 at 72 M.P.H.
When I told my mechanic that I backed off at 90 he asked if I was still in 3rd. I was actually in 4th and there was a lot left.

lgurley

Donation Time
I'm sure glad I didn't jazz up the engine. Today I played a little. In 1st gear it will smoke the tires for about half a block and I didn't slip the clutch. I just got on it hard. That little chirp when you shift sounds pretty good too. I think I could have smoked them in the gear change too but I don't want to break anything.
Still looking for a name. Terminator?--naw