• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

First Coat

skywords

Donation Time
Not bad for being painted outdoors in the desert. Trick is real early in the morning and wet the surrounding area. Ready for the secound coat.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looks nice Rick. Is that GlenGreen?
Did you spray everything at once? If so thats pretty hard to do.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, looks very nice. We can't paint outdoors in the early morning, too much humidity. Ask me how I know. I admire your confidence, painting the car prior to fitting the Olds. I'd have that sucker chipped from headlight to taillight. Of course, it would help if I did everything only once. Or twice, maybe even three times.

Bill

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

What paint are you using?

I was planning on using Sherwin Williams Dimension series, 2 stage.

Rich

skywords

Donation Time
Jan
Thanks, I did shoot the whole car at once it is a work out. I was going to do Glen Green but changed my mind. I've always wanted a car in BRG. Since it is a modified I took the liberty. I would have done the secound coat that morning but a slight breeze started.

Bill
My confidence sometimes has a way of turning to stupidity. I hope it fits the way I plan. The weather here is almost always ok for painting. It has allowed me to make a living putting fabric on airplanes year round.

Rich
I am using Dupont Chroma One that can be single or two stage. I was looking at the Sherwin system. Please let us know what you think of it. The Dupont store is very expensive. I bought more paint than what I needed 2 gls of color $820.00 with a few supplies added. I don't think I will even use one gallon.

I hope the next pictures you see will be with the engine in the car. Thanks for all your kind words.

Rick

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I buy 1.5 gallons to do a complete Alpine top to bottom of Glasurit #22 S/S. That leaves about a pint left over for any repair work later on. Price looks about the same as Dupont.
I never use a basecoat/clearcoat material unless its metalic.
Jan

skywords

Donation Time
I am not a big clearcoat fan either. They say they have improved the performance of the clearcoats considerably in regards to durability I don't know if I believe it. The UV rays here in AZ are killers of clearcoats. I purchased a Binks model 7 with a 36 nozzle that applied the paint with a wide very consitant swath. I spray with more psi than most 90psi almost a fire hose, probably a bad habit that steems from all the aircraft I have painted with acres and acres of surface area to be covered. It allowed me to get the whole car coated before overspray became a factor. If I where to advise anyone I would say do it in sections, bottom interior first and then paint the exterior last masking the previously coated sections. This is the first car I have ever painted and they certainly have their own set of challenges compared to aircraft. A much more complex spray operation with all the nooks and crannies. My hats off to you guys that do this all the time.

Rick

Pumpkin

Donation Time
paint

This is the first car I have ever painted and they certainly have their own set of challenges compared to aircraft. A much more complex spray operation with all the nooks and crannies. My hats off to you guys that do this all the time.

:eek: Well, try painting a 54 Merc with Airforce spraycanned paint white.. Looked good till the wind came up,, total cost don't know didn't care it was white,,AND not mine. The bubbly was free too.
Chuck

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
AH, I love the smell of single stage in the morning, smells like.....
well paint of course!
I get a kick out of one being sprayed with yet another out front torn all apart! However different we all are from one another, we're all a bit the same as well. My rule of thumb is when i think I have enough paint on, put two more coats on. Not necesarily for coverage but more to knock down and buff later. That color does cover quite nicely though.
Well, hope you have a couple more nice spraying sessions, it's looking great!
Now hurry up and put it together so we can see it in Ohio this fall!