• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

firewall grommet question

Britboy

Donation Time
The grommets in the firewall of my 67 SV have, over the years deteriorated to the point in some cases, being non-existent. The throttle linkage grommet is a case in point.
Where the linkage passes through the firewall is a fairly large hole. This is adequate to allow the up and down (not in and out) motion of the linkage relative to the firewall. I ordered a replacement grommet from SS but it appears to expect an in and out motion not the up and down I have here.
Am I missing something? Should my linkage move "through" the firewall rather than vertically as it does? The hole in the center of the grommet will not allow the vertical motion of the link.
Cheers all and belated Happy New Year

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Britboy, I too replaced the firewall grommets on my car and the accelerator linkage grommet from Sunbeam specialties is working fine for me, unlike the standard grommets with a hole in it has a sleeve extension to the hole, best way I can describe it.
I can try and photo mine but it certainly is not stopping the linkage moving through it's full range.

Gary

gary1725

Donation Time
didn't finish my thought - the linkage mostly goes up and down, it does have something of an arc in it's motion - but mostly up and down..

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's a picture of an RG58 grommet installed on the throttle linkage. Do you know if you have the original throttle setup?

Mike

Attachments

• rg58.jpg
    rg58.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 65

Britboy

Donation Time
ah ah! Isn't this forum great. I inadvertently ordered grommet RG57 not RG58. I will correct that tomorrow.
Thanks Gary and Mike.