• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fender Motif & rubber hood spacers reattachment

Q

Donation Time
Hello Restorers-

I finally found replacement motif badges and surrounds, but I can't figure how to get behind the front fenders to reattach them to the car. Forum search for "Motif" described how to remove & refurbish, but I failed to find how to re-attach. I'm worried there is no access to behind the fender skin, and once removed the motif badges must be glued back in place. I know the SUNBEAM letters are attached with speed nuts and a small round/cut fender washer on the trunk. However, the trunk motif is off as well, and 2 of those 3 surround prong holes look to be a PITA to get to.

Similar access concern with the 2 rubber hood spacers for the hood that are closest to the firewall. Can't see underneath them for a nut attachment or if they screw directly into the body (and don't want to ruin the old, hard ones on removal to find I can't fit the new replacements!).

Thanks for directing me to the right thread or sharing your experiences.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The sheilds are held by little spring metal clips.. repros available from sunbeam, specialties. The simply sit in the holes for the sheild and the posts on the crome sheild are retained by them by pushing them in.

The rubber buffers have a captive nut in the scuttle area.

Beeman

Donation Time
The rubber hood buffers screw straight into the body. There may be a lock nut under the buffer. The manual gives the thread as 1/4 UNF.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
clips

The sheilds are held by little spring metal clips.. repros available from sunbeam, specialties. The simply sit in the holes for the sheild and the posts on the crome sheild are retained by them by pushing them in.

So do you put the clips into the fender first and then shove the pins in, or put the clips on the pins first? It seems like the former makes sense, as shoving the pins into the clips would tighten them in the holes. But the pins are brittle and made out of crappy metal, and they break off easily. I'm tempted to forget the clips and just fill the holes with epoxy putty before shoving the badges/scripts in place.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Put the clips in first. The whole set up is really quite easy. To salvage the originals I've taken needle nose pliers and carefully caught the edges of the clip that rest on the body. Gently pinch in and you should be able to withdraw them easily. Some break, some don't - you just have to be careful.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
clips

Scott's procedure worked fine on the passenger side. I discovered that putting a little oil on the pins helps them slide in. Driver's side was a different story. The fender was repaired many years ago, but no one bothered to put the emblems back on. Had to drill my own holes and, much to my surprise, ran into a layer of Bondo. The stuff's too soft for the clips to grip right. But a glob of epoxy putty on each pin seems to be holding things in place. You just have to clean away the excess with a toothpick and tape the items tightly in place with masking tape until the putty hardens.