• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fastback Sunbeam Rapier (Aus)

65beam

Donation Time
fastback rapier

he mentions ADR specs . what is this ? it sounds like he had to change several items or add items to meet this .

lemansvk

Donation Time
ADR = Australian Design Rules. These are basically safety and emissions standards with which vehicles sold in Australia had to comply. They started to come in to force in about 1970 and more were introduced over time. For example, vehicles made after 1971 had to have head restraints/high back seats, after 1972, collapsible steering columns.

Rod imported this car from New Zealand where these rules were not in force, in order to be able to register/licence it in Australia he had to show that it complied with rules. I know that he had to fit high back seats and a collapsible steering column, plus some other stuff - he spent quite a bit of time and money on this. The car now complies with all of the relevant rules for its year of manufacture.

Vic

65beam

Donation Time
fastback rapier

sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me .here in ohio we have no inspections of any kind for our vehicles, nor emission checks .compared to other states it's cheap to license our cars .my historical plates for the 69 that i'm working on cost 27.25 and don't need renewed until 2050 . i think it's about 37.00 per year to renew the license for our regular cars . i did have to have the vin of the car verified when i went to buy the tags since i bought the car in virginia ,but no inspections .

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
When I brought the Humber into Ohio from Nebraska I took it to get re-titled and what a comedy that was - they assured me that ALL cars ever manufactured were in their special book. Naturally Humber did not appear, so they didn't quite know what to do next (government officials of course). So they called a supervisor who told them to go out to the car and get a rubbing of the VIN plate. So we march outside, I pop the hood, and realize you can't make a rubbing because the numbers are punched in. Plus, have you ever tried to reach back to a Super Snipe VIN plate? It's waaay in the back up on the cowl and you really can't get a piece of paper in there to make a rubbing. They lady thought I was doing something wrong so took the piece of paper and pencil from me and tried to get in there herself. That didn't last long. So more calls to the "supervisor" for direction. In the end I got it done, and luckily they didn't notice there was a typo on the Nebraska title's VIN number. That would have caused total meltdown of the local government!