• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

EZ Wiring 20

daniel luna

Donation Time
Hi Bill Blue
I have question back on 02/11/07 you got 20 circuit mini.
how was it? did you finish the project? can you tell me
any thing to look out for, I got the same harness from EZ
Wiring. been working on this for more than 5 weeks and it
feels like I will be done in a week but I am kind of weary and
fearful this is the first time that I take on electrical need help
based on the experience, any thing you can help will be
greatly appreciated.
:confused: Dan Luna

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

Sorry to cut in, but what problems if any are you having? You should'nt have any problems with the new wiring so much, it's adapting it to the old wiring. How far are you going (full rewire or just adding extra fuses to protect equipment more thoroughly). The main thing to remember when updating your wiring is to ensure that the wire guage is the equivalent size or bigger to the wiring you are updating or you will smoke the wiring.

Kind Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill Blue
I have question back on 02/11/07 you got 20 circuit mini.
how was it? did you finish the project? can you tell me
any thing to look out for, I got the same harness from EZ
Wiring. been working on this for more than 5 weeks and it
feels like I will be done in a week but I am kind of weary and
fearful this is the first time that I take on electrical need help
based on the experience, any thing you can help will be
greatly appreciated.
:confused: Dan Luna

How was it?
Quality was fine. Some problems. The wire tends to be of a heavier gauge wire than the Alpine wire, insulation is MUCH heavier. Results is in some pretty stiff and cumbersome wire harness. All I can say is have patience, be careful not to braid the wire in the harness and it will work out.

I finished the project. Everything works. I eliminated some wires, such as for electric windows and locks. That helped to reduce the size of the harnesses. Also used relays to power the accessories, fuel pump and some other stuff to take the load off the ignition switch. That complicates things, but I think well worth the effort.

I also mounted the fuse panel under the hood, in a spot that I could easily access. This lead to problems with wire length for some of the under dash components. Inaccessable fuse panels are one of my pet peeves, so I thought it was worth the extra hassle.

Advice? Don't get in a hurry. Make good crimps. Don't let that tangle of wires intimidate you. Also, consider making up a harness for the dash. I did so, using multi connectors from Radio Shack. It was quite a bit of work but makes dash removal simple, just three connections. Also cleans up the rats nest of wires that ensues if you try to wire the dash point to point.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Dan,

Sorry to cut in, but what problems if any are you having? You should'nt have any problems with the new wiring so much, it's adapting it to the old wiring. How far are you going (full rewire or just adding extra fuses to protect equipment more thoroughly). The main thing to remember when updating your wiring is to ensure that the wire guage is the equivalent size or bigger to the wiring you are updating or you will smoke the wiring.

Kind Regards, Robin.

Robin, not to worry. The wire in the EZ kit is much more robust than the stock Alpine. After comparing the two, you'd never want to use the Alpine wire.

Bill

chris

Donation Time
I also mounted the fuse panel under the hood, in a spot that I could easily access. Bill

I did the same project about a year ago with the EZ kit and also mounted the fuse panel under the hood. It is a great investment of both your time and money. I don't think I've ever seen an Alpine that didn't have jacked up wiring from multiple previous repair attempts.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
On my V6 I did a Painless wiring harness and I put the fuse box inside the car.
I mounted it as high as I could get it just forward of the dash. I made sure it was visible to replaces fuses if needed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can anyone send me a picture showing the location of the EZ panel under the hood?

rsgwynn1@cs.com

Possibly. I have a digital camera and a couple of computers. That, however, does not mean I can send you pictures. Before we get too deep into this, do you have the starter solenoid located in the stock position? If so, I don't think you could mount yours where mine is. Or if you did, the solenoid would be inaccessable.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
On my V6 I did a Painless wiring harness and I put the fuse box inside the car.
I mounted it as high as I could get it just forward of the dash. I made sure it was visible to replaces fuses if needed.

That would probably be a good place, mounted on a bracket so the fuses faced to the rear of the car. That is the type of location the EZ is designed for and would be much easier.

Oh, forgot to mention the funny clips on some of the dash wires. They are GM specific (didn't you know that all old cars are 57 Chevys?) and will have to be cut off.

Bill

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I broke a dash taking it out. I can't recall where it was binding. Do you have to drop the steering column to put the dash back in?