• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

England, Britain, UK? - this will make it simple

Nickodell

Donation Time
It you've ever been confused by the terms United Kingdom, British Isles, Britain, Great Britain, England - and the ex-colonies and present-day members of the British Commonwealth, and the Dependencies, etc., this should clear it all up. There will be a test tomorrow:

http://www.wimp.com/differencebetween/

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Ok... I think I have it. Just answer this. Do all of the groups in the last frame have a Ministry of Silly Walks that answer to The Crown or do they run their own? :confused:

Nickodell

Donation Time
Ok... I think I have it. Just answer this. Do all of the groups in the last frame have a Ministry of Silly Walks that answer to The Crown or do they run their own? :confused:

No, but the British take their politics and elections a lot less seriously than we do. Unless things have changed radically since we were there in 2007, for about $1,000 almost any citizen can run for Member of Parliament in an election. By law, all candidates must be given equal recognition, irrespective of how many supporters they have, or the name of their party, however silly and irrelevant.

Candidates have regularly run representing, for example, the Monster Raving Loony Party, and in fact one of them, Alan Hope, was elected on that ticket in Ashburton, Devon. Until his death, pop-musician Screaming Lord Sutch regularly ran on the Raving (etc.) ticket, canvassing for votes in his Rolls-Royce, wearing an undertaker's suit with top hat ("because honest politics died years ago.") In Britain you could also easily officially change your name to add to the hilarity. In 1981, student John Dougrez-Lewis changed his to the name of the Silly Party candidate in a Monty Python sketch: Tarquin Fintim Limbim-Whimbim-Lim Bus Stop F'Tang-F'Tang-Ole-Biscuit-Barrel, and ran for Parliament as the Cambridge University Raving Loony Society candidate, polling several hundred votes.

Election results are announced to the nation (and world) by the Returning Officer, usually from the balcony of City Hall. By law, the name of every candidate, and his vote tally, are read, in alphabetic order, so Tarquin (etc.) got his moment of glory. He tried at the next election, representing the Against Almost Everything Party, but the voters preferred the other loonies, the Labour Party.

In my old home district, the Ribble Valley constituency, Stuart Basil Fawlty Hughes (Raving Loony Green Giant), Lindi St. Clair - Miss Whiplash (Corrective Party), and of course Lord Sutch, were candidates. Ms. St. Clair is a celebrated ex-brothel madam who has long campaigned for prostitutes' rights.

Other candidates have run on the Beer Drinkers and the Mad Hatter's Tea parties (candidate M. Mouse.) Some pranksters changed their names to the same as well-known politicians. In the 1970s, people went into the voting booths to be confronted by several Edward Heaths (the former Prime Minister) on the ballot. Better yet; under election law, if you can scrape up enough cash to sponsor 50 candidates for your party, for about $50,000 (50 X $1,000 back in 2008) the TV stations had to give you the same free air time as the major parties, to espouse whatever eccentric ideas you had, like returning Britain to gold coinage instead of banknotes, forcing national vegetarianism, or banning French tourists.

When Lord Sutch died, several leading politicians of different parties paid tribute to the whimsy he brought to the process. As one put it: "He was the man who pricked the pomposity of politicians and brought gaiety to politics." Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "He will be much missed. For many years he made a unique contribution to British politics. Our elections will never be quite the same without him."

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
".....banning French tourists". At the risk of offending your President, there would probably be more popular support for banning the French.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
".....banning French tourists". At the risk of offending your President, there would probably be more popular support for banning the French.
Not this prez, remember, he doesn't like the Brits, sent Churchill's bust back, made the PM cool his heels, while he ate dinner, state gifts of his speeches...in the wrong format. And apparantly the feeling is mutual, as evidence by the lack of wedding invitation to our Pretender and family.
Hu's his daddy

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Speaking of banning....I still love Reagan's quote "I've just signed legislation banning the Soviet Union........" Darned if he didn't...

Ok, I'm moving to the UK and starting my own party..... just as soon as I figure out a good name.... $1000? Do they take Visa?

phatt

Donation Time
Here's a serious question that I believe you might actually know the answer to. How many members were there in the house of commons in 1770? Thanks, Paul:)

phatt

Donation Time
Actually Nick it is a question I have been trying to find an answer for for over twenty years. One of the catch phrases of the American revolution was "no taxation without representation". Did the founding fathers really want that? I believe not. The leaders of the revolution were not idiots. Let's suppose that Britain had said "OK". Lets imagine that the colonies were given 13 members in the house of commons. What chance would they have had to pass meaningfull colonial legislation? I contend that they would have had no chance at all. To drive home the point I need to know how many members there were in the house so that I can make an accurate comparison. I have asked college professors, spent hours on the internet, and any other way I could think of to get that one piece of information and thus, an accurate comparison. So far, no joy. I was hoping you might know. Paul

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Lets imagine that the colonies were given 13 members in the house of commons. What chance would they have had to pass meaningfull colonial legislation? I contend that they would have had no chance at all.

Kinda like being a Republican in the last Congress? OOPS, wrong section.:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Actually Nick it is a question I have been trying to find an answer for for over twenty years. One of the catch phrases of the American revolution was "no taxation without representation". Did the founding fathers really want that? I believe not. The leaders of the revolution were not idiots. Let's suppose that Britain had said "OK". Lets imagine that the colonies were given 13 members in the house of commons. What chance would they have had to pass meaningfull colonial legislation? I contend that they would have had no chance at all. To drive home the point I need to know how many members there were in the house so that I can make an accurate comparison. I have asked college professors, spent hours on the internet, and any other way I could think of to get that one piece of information and thus, an accurate comparison. So far, no joy. I was hoping you might know. Paul

Two aphorisms: All history is bunk (Henry Ford): The winners write the history (Anon.) At the risk of being accused of being an AINO (American in Name Only) the real story of the Boston Tea Party etc. is not quite what you were taught in school. It was, in fact, not a protest against high taxes; it was sparked by a tax cut!

The British had been fighting the French (who wanted a big stake in North America, including all of Canada and much of what is now the US west of the Mississippi) and the Indian tribes who - not unnaturally peeved at having their land stolen and game slaughtered - were conducting killing raids on the settlers. Collectively, this was known as the French and Indian War over here, and the Seven Years War in Europe. Just as today, fighting wars thousands of miles away was very expensive, and the British people were experiencing steadily increasing taxes to protect what they regarded as their ungrateful kin across the Atlantic. "Surely you wouldn't object to paying a little bit of the expense? Perhaps a fifth of what we're paying back home?" they asked.

"Not without representation in Parliament," was the response. To the British, this was as absurd as, for example, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Wake Island insisting on having Representatives and Senators in Congress today. The colonists objected to the Stamp Act, saying that Britain could only levy taxes to regulate trade, not to raise revenue. Parliament dropped the demand, but the next year imposed taxes (essentially a sales tax) on goods imported into the colonies (not just the American ones), including, among several other commodities, tea. Again Britain backed down in the face of protests, removing the tariffs on glass, lead, paper, paint and a score of others. But not tea. I mean, tea! That was different!

At the time, several influential colonists - oh OK, Americans - were making a good living smuggling Dutch tea into the country. Among their numbers were several leading members of the independence movement including, it was rumored, such revered figures as John Adams and Ben Franklin. The problem was that the Dutch tea was awful, likened by one writer to "what I sweep up from my floor each day." At one point, as much as 90% of the tea drunk in the colonies was this Dutch dust.

Remember how such companies as GM and Chrysler were rescued with our dollars because the government maintained that they were "too big to be allowed to fail"? Corporate bailouts are nothing new. The same thing was going on in 1773. The East India Company, whose biggest mercantile product was the superior tea from India and Ceylon, was saddled with a huge debt and inventories of tea that it could not sell. Its warehouses were stocked to the roofs with chests of unsold tea. What to do?

Parliament lowered the tea tax, good English tea began to flood into the colonies, and the smugglers found themselves in the same situation as bootleggers at the repeal of the Volstead Act. "Sh*t!" Their response was to insist that the East India Company was a monopoly, and the press at the time labeled it "rapacious and destructive, that may be able to devour every branch of commerce, drain us of our property and substance, and leave us to perish by thousands." Rather like what you hear from the unions about WalMart.

So, disguising the true motivation of Adams, etc. and the Boston merchants, the Tea Partiers coined the "No taxation without representation" slogan.

One could conjecture that, but for the French navy being at the right place at the right time, and a bungling general, Britain might well have prevailed in the War of Independence. Like Canada, the colonies might have come to an amicable agreement with London. Who knows. I have often pondered the result of a "Super Canada," covering all of North America except for Mexico, and the effect that this would have had on WWI and WWII - all the might and industrial potential of such a country coming into the wars in 1914 and 1939, instead of 1917 and 1941 (1942 really.)