• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine swap

Alejo

Donation Time
Hello everyone, Im the proud owner of a 1976 Rapier Fastback LHD since nov 23 and I have been thinking lately about doing some workshop on it when the time is right.

So what im talking here as you can guess from the title of the thread, I want to swap the 4L engine for a V6 or V8 depending on Horse powers, size, consumption of fuel...

Can anyone help me? To clarify, i live in (S)pain so everything here is controled and certified by the government, I would have to pass certain tests and taxes so the car can be legal, problem is, one of those steps need the vendor to be contacted so it can give its approval.

Any lights in this topic?

alpine_64

Donation Time
What do you mean the vendor needs to be contacted for approval?

What regulations are there for engineering certification on engine swaps?

Do you have to upgrade brakes and other things to be allowed to drive it?

Does it need to be a period motor to keep historic status rather than a hotrod or modified vehicle?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sounds like you are looking for a kit that allows installation of a V8 or V6 in you car. I don't think that kit exists. At least not on this side of the Atlantic.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sounds like you are looking for a kit that allows installation of a V8 or V6 in you car. I don't think that kit exists. At least not on this side of the Atlantic.
Bill
Bill you win the guess what the question is....
Think you're right ... The implication is their DMV etc will contact the manufacturer of a kit used in the install...

@Alejo there are no commercial manufacturer engine swap kits for the Sunbeams.

There are some hobby vendors that do V6 kits for series Alpines... And some mechanics shops that make front suspension kits for upgrading tigers....
But no engine swap kits from commercial manufacturers and none I've ever seen for the arrows series cars

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are some hobby vendors that do V6 kits for series Alpines...
Michael, I only know of one offering the V6 Conversion Components at present. DO you know of another, if so, I would like to know. I don't believe Jose has done any for several years.

Last edited by a moderator:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan,

I'll have to agree with Michael, no recollection of any kit produced for the ARROW range of cars, such as the O/P's 1976 Rapier fastback coupe.

Are you looking to expand your offerings?

I wonder what type engines might be a suitable swap for an Arrow range vehicle found in Spain?

Just curious,

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is a Fastback Rapier with a Ford V8 installed in NZ. However not sure whether there is any chance to get such a modification legalized in Spain...

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Hello everyone, Im the proud owner of a 1976 Rapier Fastback LHD since nov 23 and I have been thinking lately about doing some workshop on it when the time is right.

So what im talking here as you can guess from the title of the thread, I want to swap the 4L engine for a V6 or V8 depending on Horse powers, size, consumption of fuel...

Can anyone help me? To clarify, i live in (S)pain so everything here is controled and certified by the government, I would have to pass certain tests and taxes so the car can be legal, problem is, one of those steps need the vendor to be contacted so it can give its approval.

Any lights in this topic?
Afaik there’s no certified kit manufacturer for this. You’d need someone to fabricate the parts to do the install who is certified by -your government- to do so and a mechanic also -certified by your government- who can modify, assemble, install and certify that the car is safe and meets specs. Even if you’re one of the other, this will still cost you a lot of money once all is said and done.