• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine removal

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm about to pull the engine & trans from my V6 Alpine. I didn't build it. It was a Jose conversion (his first, I think). Engine first? What lifting points (manifold bolts?). Trans, out the bottom after engine gone?

Or drop X-member, engine and trans from the bottom?

Ideas appreciated.

Al

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can do it by dropping the front crossmember and tranny mount, much like it was done when the cars were
manufactured. I've taken a few V6's out by separating the trans and engine. There are threaded holes on the heads
in the front and the rear that will accept bolts. I've threaded bolts ( and washers) through the chain and they had
issues holding. I've used a distribution bar that allows the engine to tilt and attached that to a hoist. The
engine came out with no drama. Just make sure you support the trans.

Hope that helps,

Cheers!
Steve