• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine Rebuild advice - machine shop

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Folks,

having replaced my gearbox with a rebuilt OD box at the end of 2010 I am now considering a rebuild for my tired SV engine and would also consider some sympathetic improvements that could be incorporated into a rebuild to help squeeze additional HP out - so a two part question...

1. I live in South Central PA and work in the Baltimore area - can anyone recommend a local machine shop that can undertake the work - I have tried to contact a few from quick internet searches and received either no calls back or yes sure we can do that just leave the engine and a blank cheque and we will get back to you - I prefer just a little more certainty in my life.

2. What modifications would people recommend - I am not looking to build a race car but would like to be a little more nimble on I83!

Thanks

Gary

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey Gary
I have a buddy, in Laurel, who has a little shop. He has helped me out quite a bit and has experience with LBC's. He isn't a machine shop, but he would be a good place to start. His name is Clay and runs R.A.C.Engines (301-776-4272). He's not exactly convient to you, but I think he'd treat you right. Couldn't hurt to give him a call.
Good Luck
Ron

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I asked almost the exact same question when I was replacing my stock transmission with an OD in 2003 and sometimes I think I am still working on the answers I got here. There is a tremendous amount of information on this site about increasing the power out of the stock engine, but in my mind the best place to start is with an article Jim Ellis wrote ("More Power") for the old Marque. That issue can be accessed on this website at http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_13.pdf. Over the years, and with Jim's help, I did everything he recommended in the article and was extremely happy with the way the combination pepped up my car and with the reduced maintenance impact from ditching the Stromberg carbs and converting the distributor to a Pertronix.

None of the things Jim recommended here require you to rebuild you engine. Since you indicated you may do that, the next step up, which is highly recommended by those who have done it, is to replace your stock rods with those from a mid 70's Chevy 6 cylinder engine. They are stronger and lighter than the stock rods, and because their big end is smaller, they allow you to remove quite a bit of weight from the crankshaft and lighten up the whole rotating assembly. (They also allow you to salvage a crank that has bearing wear and may otherwise be unusable.) You have a number of options at this point, including stroking the engine and using custom pistons to increase displacement. If you search the forum for "chevy rods" you should find quite a bit about them here. You should also look at the two Marque articles on the subject:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_11.pdf
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_14.pdf

Have fun!

1980e12mpl

Donation Time
Walt at Charlie's machine shop in glen burnie. Go see him and decide for your self but I was impressed with his work on my head. Shop is in his backyard. No longer has employees. Been doing it for decades. Near bwi- if you want more info contact me.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
In addition to the recommendations already given consider this;
The East Coast has a very active and developed vintage racing community. Some terrific cars and people. When I have a local issue like this, I find someone in the vintage racing club and start asking there. A bad experience on a one off car gets around fast so if you ask enough people, you will get a good idea of who has ability and who doesn't. And no, you don't have to be a racer and sometimes it is not cheap either.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Walt at Charlie's machine shop in glen burnie. Go see him and decide for your self but I was impressed with his work on my head. Shop is in his backyard. No longer has employees. Been doing it for decades. Near bwi- if you want more info contact me.

I forgot about Walt. He did the cylinders on my buddies BMW R90. Pretty fair price on the machine work. That "backyard" shop is amazing, if you appreciate machines that make machines. I didn't know he would do a rebuild.
Ron