• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

engine numbers

X

xxxx

where can i found out what the correct engine number should be for my car,the chasis no is b9008480 ,the engine no is hcm17540 but the engine no is not visible on the compliance plate, cheers :confused:

RootesRich

Donation Time
It should be stamped on the block behind the fuel pump, passenger side of the block at the near the leading edge.

X

xxxx

i know what the engine number is but i want to know if it came with that chasis number

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
If that is indeed the number stamped where RootesRich described then the answer is you have a replacement engine in your Series I. If you have the original engine the exact same number will be stamped on the engine block to match your chassis number.

In other words, all Alpines came with matching number engines.

See here for more info: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=83

RootesRooter

Donation Time
where can i found out what the correct engine number should be for my car,the chasis no is b9008480 ,the engine no is hcm17540 but the engine no is not visible on the compliance plate, cheers :confused:

where does the "hcm17540" number appear? Is there a manufacture date in raised letters just above/behind the starter?

lemansvk

Donation Time
The short answer is that the engine block is from an Australian built Hillman Hunter; for a longer answer, read on.... :).

There is a simple answer to this question, but it won't be apparent to US members. As Scott has said, Alpines (like all Rootes cars of the time) left the factory with matching engine and chassis numbers. The chassis number quoted for this vehicle indicates that it is a Series 1 Alpine.

But in this case the engine block has been replaced. The 'HCM' prefix indicates that the new block came from a Hillman Hunter, or more precisely an Australian assembled Hillman Hunter (US members, think Sunbeam Arrow).

Now, those of you familiar with the chassis number site
http://www.team.net/www/rootes/chassis.html
may recognise that this engine number is not one listed for Hillman Hunters. But what that site fails to recognise is that Chrysler-Rootes Australia (when building the Hunter) did not follow the engine numbering conventions of Rootes UK - they apparently used their own series of engine numbers.

I have seen a number of Alpines in Australia with Hunter blocks. I will confidently predict that you have a 5 main bearing 1725 block (easily identifiable - the oil dipstick goes straight into the block (on the 3 bearing 1500 and 1600 blocks it went into a tube attached to the sump.)

Cheers, Vic

1963 Series 3 Alpine
1969 HC Hillman Hunter