• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine color

Ricardo

Donation Time
My 69 Alpine GT has the 1725cc, aluminum head and oil pan, twin stromberg engine. What is the factory color of the engine and valve cover? I'm pulling it to replace some seals and this is the time to do it correctly. Thanks!

alpine_64

Donation Time
The late blocks are the light blue. If the rocker cover is alloy its as cast. If the pressed steel ones on some usa cars im not sure

alpine_64

Donation Time
The series Alpines had a black block with the alloy head and valve cover natural
Steven, hes got the arrow based fastback, so when they went to the blue. Iirc the late sv's are the same, no spark tubes in head and blue block, but still alloy rocker cover.

65beam

Donation Time
The 69 GT had blue blocks. I use old Ford blue which very closely matched the original blue of the engine in my white car. The car had been stored away for 30+ years and was an all original low mileage car and it still had the paint on the engine. There were two versions of the car sold here in the states and both the GT and the Alpine sold here in the states had the pressed steel valve cover. The steel cover was painted grey. I could dig out several from my cars and take photos of the cover if anyone wants to see the original color. None of these cars had an aluminum valve cover but I did add an aluminum cover to my white car. The air filter box is also very close to the original color with the original having a little more green tint to it like the color of the brake booster chamber. Other than the second fuse block, moving the washer fluid bag and the valve cover this engine bay is stock U.S. spec including the dual brake master.100_0252.JPG

Ricardo

Donation Time
Thanks everyone for your help. It is blue now, but did not look original as there is some overspray. When I get it out and partially disassembled I can get it correct. This is an interesting restoration as the car I have is the only one I have ever seen. I am dependent upon photos and advice.
Ricardo

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks everyone for your help. It is blue now, but did not look original as there is some overspray. When I get it out and partially disassembled I can get it correct. This is an interesting restoration as the car I have is the only one I have ever seen. I am dependent upon photos and advice.
Ricardo
This car was taken back to a bare shell and restored using lots of NOS parts bought from Tiger Tom when he closed his parts business. The third photo shows the new dash made by a supplier in Hershey, Pa. This is my fourth fastback. The other three are now parted out and I have a lot of sheet metal, glass and NOS parts for these cars.100_0192.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0255.JPG
    100_0255.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_0341.JPG
    100_0341.JPG
    498.9 KB · Views: 38

Limey

Donation Time
That is a beautiful job. In the UK no one cares about these tho they once were so common and very well appointed for their time and price. A good looking Brit car and for once well styled. Thanks for preserving one so well.

Now I've seen yours I'm getting the urge to have one for myself...

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
That is a beautiful job. In the UK no one cares about these tho they once were so common and very well appointed for their time and price. A good looking Brit car and for once well styled. Thanks for preserving one so well.

Now I've seen yours I'm getting the urge to have one for myself...

Oliver
That's why I've had four of them. A 69 GT was my every day car 30+ years ago. Notice the similarities to the LeMans. Same color paint ,same color interior. Body by the same shop, painted by the same hands and the interior by the same upholstery shop. It seems that this car ends up at meets in the mountains. It's a great cruiser! Having a wife that likes cars helps a bunch. They all have her name on the titles. I'm just the care taker of them.

65beam

Donation Time
This is a nice car. The only silver fastback I've ever seen here in the states was Tiger Tom's Roto Rooter. Finding one that is rust free is rare. The sill trim tends to hold dirt which leads to rust. If this is New Zealand currency the 6500 in U.S. dollars isn't a bad price. Shipping might be rather high.