• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

End of long hibernation . . .

P

peterainsworth

After a 4 year sleep, it is time to awaken the beast: SII with a SV engine. Before this lengthy nap, I had installed Webers, electronic ignition, and the low mileage engine ran smoothly and effortlessly. A few questions for the experts out there:
Fuel system: I plan to remove the tank flush and seal before filling--do I need to do anything to rehab carbs/fuel pump/etc after such a long hiatus?

Brakes: Plan to redo whole system but once again drums will not budge--anyone have any luck with a specific make/model drum puller out there? Time to get out propane flame?

Engine: If I can find my hand crank, I plan to pull the plugs, spray WD 40 into cylinders, and turn by hand several times. Any other suggestions on reducing damage of restart after all this time?

Electrical: New battery obviously in order but any other attention needed to this type of aftermarket ignition?

Any advice is very welcome . . . feels good to be back in the fold after a long period away.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
To the best of my understanding, the early gas tanks were tin coated and should not need sealing unless it has rusted through from the outside.

The drums (at least on the Series V cars) are held in place with flat head screws. They are sometimes hard to find, especially if you are not really looking for them. Have they been removed?

Bill

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

My Series II was also asleep for quite a long time. The only way I could remove the brake drums was to use a long piece of steel. I tried many other things but this worked. Take a 4 foot long piece of 2 inch flat iron and drill two holes in the end that will go over the lug bolts. Bend it at an angle to clear the fender, about a foot from the end with the holes. Bolt it to the hub/brake drum. Rotate hub/drum while applying something like WD40 to the inside. You might have to relocate the lever a couple of times. Rock it fore and aft until it comes loose. After the brake shoes are free from the drum, it should easily pull off. Then you have the fun of cleaning the WD40 off of everything. Like the clutch plate, the brake shoes will rust to the steel parts.
Lee