• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electrical Circuit Live

fred1725

Donation Time
Electrical Circuit Live!!!
I am finishing up putting my Series V back together.
I went to finally start the engine and got nothing.
No red ignition, no solenoid click, nothing.
So I jiggled everything and then it worked fine
for a couple of cycles.
Next time out I turned it on and all was fine until I went to turn it off,
no off ....live circuit, turned the ignition off, took out key, engine still
running. If the battery cable touches the battery, circuit is live.
I tried putting in a new ignition switch, but that didn't help.
Cable touches battery, I hear the solenoid click and everything on..
Help...

Fred

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd start by putting a continuity tester on the ignition switch making sure it works as it should. Then I switch it on and off a few times, re-testing (on, off and start) each time.

If it passes, something is amiss in the wiring. Verify that the wires follow the wiring diagram and don't have uninsulated contact.

What's the 'solenoid click'? Is is a click like when you have enough power to engage the solenoid but not enough battery to crank the car?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
when you wiggled the wires you likely created a "bypass" that takes your switch out of the circuit. Since you have already replaced the ignition switch and the problem still exists it is very likely you have either bare wires that are touching somewhere in the circuitry or terminals where the insulation has cracked and/or broken and are touching. In any case what you have is a potentially hazardous situation.

You can trace down and repair the faulty wiring - a tedious and challenging situation - or completely replace the wiring harness. If you still have the original wiring harness the potential for additional disintegration is significant as the 50 year old insulation in most of our Sunbeams has reached its useable life span.

I will be happy to speak with you via PM or email about providing a new wiring harness designed specifically for Alpines/Tigers.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The ONE wire (maybe more) that your key is supposed to be cutting power to is getting power from somewhere.