• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Eleceric Speedo

coupe

Donation Time
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for info on what elec. speedo is being used with the t5. Which model is most compatible for the swap?
Thanks
Joe

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for info on what elec. speedo is being used with the t5. Which model is most compatible for the swap?
Thanks
Joe

I doubt there is much difference. I used a VDO "Visions" speedometer because it is available in 4" diameter. It will read most any OEM speedo electronic output, you can buy adaptors that insert into the mechanical speedo opening and generates a usable electronic signal, plus you can read off the driveshaft. Mine is reading the u-joint u-bolt nuts. The required sensor is not a part of the speedo, but the is available from VDO. I imagine the rest of the market is pretty much the same.

Bill

coupe

Donation Time
Hi Bill,
will that unit have any trouble with the oem sender on the t5? It has one on it now and if it is still good I'd like to try it thanks
coupe

bashby

Donation Time
You can also purchase a 4" Speedometer from Speedhut.com. They offer programmable speedos and GPS speedos (where you do not need a pick-up it triggers from the GPS satellite system). They also have 4" Tach's too. All of the gauge offerings are electric.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill,
will that unit have any trouble with the oem sender on the t5? It has one on it now and if it is still good I'd like to try it thanks
coupe

It should. Here is a page with description from the outfit I purchased mine from. I got the one that is on the bottom of the list. Looks like the one that is illustrated.

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
I used a tpi programmable and it works perfect. You want a program one so it can work with any gear ratio

coupe

Donation Time
speedo

Hi Robbie,
I looked at the gages and measured the hole, what size did you go for? 4' and I modify the pnl. but 3 3/8 and the bezel may not cover
Joe

socorob

Donation Time
I made a custom dash from aluminum and went with the 3-3/8 and quad gauges.When i switched my rear gears from 3.55 to 4.11, i just had to go to the interstate, press a button, drive a mile and press it again and it was set. Funny thing, when I first installed it, i didnt have the button hooked up and drove it around for a week or so to work out kinks before i set the speedo, so when i was doing 15 showed it showed i was doing over 100. Now my cars odometer shows I have a couple hundred thousand miles on the car now. I need to call them to see if there is a way to zero that out.

bashby

Donation Time
I also have a new (Not in Box) Autometer Sport Comp black face/red pointer Electric Programmable Speedometer if you need one (along with all the other gauges too) I will make you a good deal if interested.

Yenko

Donation Time
This is what I've done with mine...

Modified the originals caisings of the RPM & SPEEDO(did some holes in the back of the caisings), put respectively the Autometer RPM & SPEEDO inside the originals caisings,hold it with the two screws in the back.Autometer are 3 3/8'' so they fit tight enough.Works great for now, but, soon I'll buy a Revolution series 6 GPS Gauge Kit from SPEEDHUT:D

bashby

Donation Time
Yea, I went with the Speedhut Revolution series with Legacy bezels... which is why the SportComps are offered for sale.