• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ebay kicked me out

TerryB

Donation Time
I guess I did a play on words or something like that but Ebay deleted my auction. It was for my signed Book of Norman. In excellent condition, dust cover slightly folded in the spine area but otherwise in great condition. The book is in near perfect condition, spine had been babied and is barely bent if even bent. Pages fantastic. Auction was going very well but I am not going back on that site to sell anything ever again. So if anyone wants to buy a near perfect Book of Norman I would like to get 1300.00. Last one I seen on Ebay in a lesser condition went for 1445.00. Buy it or offer me something.
kartsracer at yahoo.com Thanks Terry

alpine_64

Donation Time
So if anyone wants to buy a near perfect Book of Norman I would like to get 1300.00. Last one I seen on Ebay in a lesser condition went for 1445.00. Buy it or offer me something.
kartsracer at yahoo.com Thanks Terry

Does it come with a Tiger too? i have read this book lots of great info, just not sure why people are paying so much.. they really should do a second run of it.. this is information that should be general knowledge, niot sold to the highest bidder.

Terry.. sorry to rant in your ad.. am sure you will sell it.. butm ight be worth throwing it on the Tiger boards..

64beam

Donation Time
There are plenty of copied B.O.N's for 5% of the price. As Michael stated, I hope you get what you want for it as they seem to sell well.

Regards, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
Sorry for my frankness but that is just a stupid amount of money for a out of date book.

Half of the book is the registry which way out of date. The rest has lots of good info but there are also lots of errors.

I saw this at SUNI too. Stupid money was being asked for old worn parts. The greedy sellers got to pack it all up and take it home too. This instead of the part being on a car and being used for what the parts were intended. One thing I miss about the MG world, people GAVE each other parts if they were needed.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
One thing I miss about the MG world, people GAVE each other parts if they were needed.

I agree that things have become more dear in the Sunbeam world, and most of that is because of the value placed on Tigers, I suspect. And as a person with feet in several camps (I have a Sunbeam, Triumph and a BMC product), I do see some of what you're talking about. But on the other hand I also see folks who do 'give' parts to each other in the Sunbeam world - it happens right here on this forum, and I've experienced it personally (both giving and receiving). There are still a great many generous folks here who share a spirit of brotherhood (and sisterhood!) and it's one of the reasons I strive to contribute here on this forum.

Having said that, I do think the prices for BON's are obscene.

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

duke,
i was one of those greedy sellers at suni and i did not pack it all up and bring it back home . i sold quite a number of parts. of course there was someone at suni that was such a cheapskate that they just put items in their pocket and walked away without paying for the parts. do you guys think that is OK? i have another name for it just as the others that had parts stolen do. if you think it's wrong to ask a fair market price for an item, i tend to wonder how you could ever restore a car to a high quality .

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bon

I borrowed a BON and xerox'd every page, each page is in sheet protectors and in a binder....use it all the time (tough SH#*+x Norm)...mike

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
ebay

Ebay managers are jerks, constanly harrassing sellers and cancelling listings (with no refund)....dumb rules like listing sjipping ahead of time when you dont even know where it is going....getting rich over the delay in transferring paypal funds (paypal is now a requirement)....what they need is a competitor...Someone needs to buy craigslist and turn it into an auction site....Ebay would be much nicer to their customers if they had a competitor...I feel better after ranting!

agmason

Donation Time
I asked Norm if he would consider a second printing of his book. He said the publisher went out of business and destroyed the printing plates, etc. A friend of mine wanted to put a copy on cd and sell it with Norm's participation but Norm said no way. Norm also had a magazine, "Tiger Press", and I asked about running a second printing and Norm said all files were destroyed. It seems Norm's position is buy it while you can, otherwise forget it. I guess that's why his book is so expensive.

Duke

Donation Time
duke,
i was one of those greedy sellers at suni and i did not pack it all up and bring it back home . i sold quite a number of parts. of course there was someone at suni that was such a cheapskate that they just put items in their pocket and walked away without paying for the parts. do you guys think that is OK?

My statement was not a blanket one. Most of the sellers had reasonable prices, a few did not. I bought several parts myself. Fair market price is good, greed is not.

As to the thief, karma is a bitch.

TerryB

Donation Time
a

I wanted a Tiger but they are way of my range.....oh just like the parts and other such related items. So no it does not come with a Tiger. Maybe if I could find a model I could. Don't worry about ranting my post looks like lots of people will/are.

I would like to see plenty B O Ns at 10% of this price screw 5%, maybe I will sell it who knows I do not need to.

Maybe you should have kept your book. 200.00 was probably out of line at that time as well. Stupid?? Wrecked a Tiger now that is priceless.

I think the word is THIEF. Open market for something paid for is a deal agreed upon Sorry you got ripped off.

Now someone who copies a book and puts it in plastic pages is.... now what was that word? Yeah Ebay does need more money so I will just buy off it from now on and make my deals above board and pay what is agreed on.

If I had an OOP book I woould not reprint and devalue my private stock.

Alot of times a person asks more than what they really want to give some talking room. Everyone wants something for nothing (some get it by making a copy of a book) and try to talk you down on pretty much everything for private sale. I did say offer me something.

Thanks guys I will retract the ad if I could and take it elsewhere.

64beam

Donation Time
I wanted a Tiger but they are way of my range.....oh just like the parts and other such related items. So no it does not come with a Tiger. Maybe if I could find a model I could. Don't worry about ranting my post looks like lots of people will/are.

I would like to see plenty B O Ns at 10% of this price screw 5%, maybe I will sell it who knows I do not need to.

Maybe you should have kept your book. 200.00 was probably out of line at that time as well. Stupid?? Wrecked a Tiger now that is priceless.

I think the word is THIEF. Open market for something paid for is a deal agreed upon Sorry you got ripped off.

Now someone who copies a book and puts it in plastic pages is.... now what was that word? Yeah Ebay does need more money so I will just buy off it from now on and make my deals above board and pay what is agreed on.

If I had an OOP book I woould not reprint and devalue my private stock.

Alot of times a person asks more than what they really want to give some talking room. Everyone wants something for nothing (some get it by making a copy of a book) and try to talk you down on pretty much everything for private sale. I did say offer me something.

Thanks guys I will retract the ad if I could and take it elsewhere.

Hi,

There is no need to retract the post as someone on the board may offer you something for the book. Just keep in mind that members of the board are not trying to put you down or embarrass you. People's opinions are people's opinions, you can't change them. As for photocopying the b.o.n, most of the time they are not for monetary gain (more for personal interest). In regards to your book, I'm sure it will sell at some point (the originals sell even at high prices).

Regards, Robin.

howard

Donation Time
As for photocopying the b.o.n, most of the time they are not for monetary gain (more for personal interest).

Doesn't matter-it's still copyright infringement unless you have permission. (Not preaching or passing judgement- just saying: you can still get in hot water doing it.)