• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early 60's racing Alpines

mikephillips

Donation Time
For those who may not have seen it the July issue of Hemmings Sorts and Exotic Car has several pages of early 60's Alpines racing. All with fins.

M

mschoonmaker

I have a 60 or 61, cant tell.

Do you know anyone who is the "Guru" of determing year of an Alpine?

I have a car with the body stamped: B900 7160 LRX, on the firewall. (makes me think it is series I)

It only has 6 leaf springs in year (makes me think it is a series II)

of note: the car has Hood pins welded in and has been raced some time ago.

Was It a normal thing to change the series I leafs to series II for racing purposes back in the 60's ???

alpine_64

Donation Time
Do you know anyone who is the "Guru" of determing year of an Alpine?

I have a car with the body stamped: B900 7160 LRX, on the firewall. (makes me think it is series I)

It only has 6 leaf springs in year (makes me think it is a series II)

of note: the car has Hood pins welded in and has been raced some time ago.

Was It a normal thing to change the series I leafs to series II for racing purposes back in the 60's ???

if you have a B90 number in the firewall it is deffinatly a SI, if it was raced they may have modified it to uprate springs,dampers etc off later years, but the number stamped in the firewall is an early series thing, and if you have B90 then i doubt someone would go to the effort of removing another number and restamping it.

Have you got some pics of the car?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Do you have some additional pictures of the Alpine? rear parcel shelf, engine bay, cockpit?

I noticed that it had hood pins but nothing else that indicated it had been raced. I figured they might have changed to hood pins since the "short hood prop" cars are kind of a pain to work on with the limted hood opening. So, changing to hood pins wouldn't be unusual.

I'd be curious to find out more details on this car. Do you know the original color? Did the previous owner have any photos of the car before it was stripped and primed? Any idea where this car had been located in Florida in the past???

Steve

M

mschoonmaker

reply about this cars history

The car was in west palm beach area when I picked it up. I think the car was black. The previous owner didnt even know what it was, (he said his buddy thought it was a 67) and wasnt available when I picked it up. There is alot of crummy work done to it, like the floor pan is expanded metal and beer cans used as sheet metal to plug holes(may have been raced in dirt ???) I bought it off ebay, so you take what you get.

As far as pictures go, Im having difficuty with getting them out of camera and into putor, will continue to work on that and post them on both of my Alpines, (my 67 was my first car and has been in storage for 29 years, needs alot of work).

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I would appreciate it if you could try and send me via e-mail or posting the photos (milano164@comcast.net).

There weren't that many people running Alpines in the SCCA in the Southeast region. I'd be very curious to see any visual details regarding this Alpine.

Specific images would be:

1) The cowl stiffners on the inner fenders.
2) Transmission tunnel
3) Rear parcel shelf
4) Firewall - as directly behind were the head would be... if it had an engine.
5) Top of the dash area on the drivers side.

Thanks,

Steve

M

mschoonmaker

pics

I did some scratching around and now think the car was red, took some pics and sent them to you, I think I have the picture thing figured out now.