• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual master cylinder

norville

Donation Time
I've seen a lot of post on using a nissan dual master cylinder. I think it's a great Idea. Most have recommended a nissan F10. The new lines from this unit would have to be looped back around to the existing brake lines. Has anyone installed a master cylinder that has bottom brake line outputs? Or is there not enough room under the master cylinder to make the connection?? I understand why the F10 is Ideal for a right hand drive car but it appears a bottom style unit would be better for us lefty's?? And the bleeders are on the correct side for a nissan 610.

thanks,

bob

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Several have installed bottom outlet master cylinders, few have been able to hook them up. I have not tried, so do not know exactly what issues are present.

In my opinion, the left side outlet is ideal for the left hand drive cars, even though it is more work. Gets the plumbing away from the engine.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I tried an F10 on my Series V, but it hits the rear Stromberg carb. I included some pics; I think a bottom outlet master may have an issue with the steering box on lefty's.

Bill, FYI I double checked these photos when I got home from the Invasion, it looks like I did try the F10 master without the original firewall spacer, so it won't fit.:( The Wilwood works well though, just no redundancy.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, the F10 MC will not fit into the firewall unless A) the hole is opened up or B) the MC is filed down. Without some surgery, the MC will stick out about 1/4". Given the extra 1/4", would it fit? Looking at your photo, you have the MC canted about 30*. Any reason for that? If it was mounted vertically, would that help?

Bill

norville

Donation Time
That pics helps a lot. I see why the bottom style won't work the steering box is in the way.

thanks,
bob

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Bill, I'm not sure which way you think it's 30* off? Do you mean rotated so the outlets point down slightly, or tilted like the master is not tight against the firewall? The slight rotation won't help, and the slight tilt away from the firewall is due to hitting the rear carb float bowl. I don't think either is 30*, it may be just the angle of the pictures and the other stuff around the master making it look funny. On my test fit the master fit all the way into the firewall, so I don't know if I got a slightly different one or my firewall hole was already larger, but I didn't need any modification. It would have fit fine, except it hits the carb, even while flush against the firewall.

Tom, I tried it without the original spacer, it is still probably 1" too long.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, it seems I cannot get properly oriented with the first picture, but never mind. The only other thing I can think of is difference in MC length. Mine is 6 9/16" long from mounting surface to end of casting.

Using the F10 has been around the Alpine world for several years, do not recall anyone having problems with Stromberg clearance problems. Selective memory, or are you the only one with the courage to say "I can't do it"? What is really interesting is that George F. posted about a year ago, asking if anyone had tried using the F10 with the two bbl manifold. Nobody responded. Maybe they have all been using the Zenith manifold.

Bill