• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Drain hose ?

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
1. Where does the drain hose that connects to the shelf just under the soft top hinge at the B post, terminate?

2. On a series V that has two license plate lights on the bumper, what goes in these holes?

New dash pad going on.

Series V

Last edited by a moderator:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Goes out through the rear wheel arch at its leading face, you'll see a hole in there for it to poke out

Derek

Donation Time
As to the holes, on my SV the wires for the lamps are routed through a grommet in the center hole and the other two have rubber plugs. No idea if this is factory correct.

Derek

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Stupid me, if it was a snake it would have bit me. Was looking way to low thinking the hose went straight down, but there it is 3 " from the drain panel.

Thanks Michael

65beam

Donation Time
hose

I go to the local autozone or advance and buy the funnel that has roughly an 18 inch black tube on it. the tubing is the size you need and once you cut it to the length you want it fits thru the wheel well opening. it's cheaper than buying the tubing somewhere else. I'm sure you have similar stores in the U.K. so give it a try. I've used this on all the alpine restorations we have done.

JonPiz

Donation Time
I go to the local autozone or advance and buy the funnel that has roughly an 18 inch black tube on it. the tubing is the size you need and once you cut it to the length you want it fits thru the wheel well opening. it's cheaper than buying the tubing somewhere else. I'm sure you have similar stores in the U.K. so give it a try. I've used this on all the alpine restorations we have done.

Not sure what type of pipe you mean. When I have attached a bit of pipe to the pipe under the drain hole and then put it through the hole in the wheel well, it bends more or less at a 90 degree angle and closes the pipe. Do you have any photos?

65beam

Donation Time
hose

this is a very thin wall black tube that doesn't kink. I would have to pull a wheel to take a photo and since it's a dark hole I doubt the tubing would show. besides that I can't get photos from my camera to post on this site.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe your pipe length is too long? Here's a photo of my original damaged pipe. I think the pipe should have a gentle bend to it and where the pipe exits into the wheel well, it looks like it should have approximately a 45 degree angle from horizontal.

Mike

Attachments

• 20150713-002 seat belt 3rd mount.jpg
    20150713-002 seat belt 3rd mount.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150713-004 seat belt 3rd mount.jpg
    20150713-004 seat belt 3rd mount.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 45

JonPiz

Donation Time
re

That photo is perfect thanks. I just need to find the right sort of pipe I think. Thanks for your replies:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Maybe your pipe length is too long? Here's a photo of my original damaged pipe. I think the pipe should have a gentle bend to it and where the pipe exits into the wheel well, it looks like it should have approximately a 45 degree angle from horizontal.

Mike
I note you still have the factory plug to block the shoulder bolt mount ... Time to get 3 point belts!! :eek:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is why I took those photos. I was considering upgrading to 3 point seat belts and was checking out the mounting location. I am 6'4" and my conclusion was that the factory 3rd mount location is too low and the shoulder belt will do more harm than good.

Mike

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Hartmandm,
I replaced mine with Gates Rubber Co, Fuel and vapor hose, 1/2' id. this hose fits the drain nipple at top real snugly, did not need a hose clamp just lubed it with Windex glass cleaner and worked it up on the nipple. The hole in the inner fender is slightly smaller than the OD of the 1/2" hose so it forms its own seal there also.
No kinks, just a gentle bend down and back.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Excellent info. I'll pick up some of that hose and replace my sorry original drain hoses.

FYI - I did take a look at the AutoZone and Pep Boys web sites and stopped in to an Advance Auto parts today looking for the funnel Bob (65Beam) mentioned. I didn't find that funnel. They all sell a cheap funnel with a long clear hose, but the hose does not even keep its shape. It may be the case the funnel Bob found in the past is no longer available.

Thanks,
Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am 6'4" and my conclusion was that the factory 3rd mount location is too low and the shoulder belt will do more harm than good.

Mike

Mike, I know the 10deg up or down rule from the point of your shoulder, so yes, a 3 point belt might hurt your back in a decent hit.... But in a small bump it will still help... And I think in a bug hit it will help... I'm 6'2†and with lsos only I can touch my forehead to the screen if I Kean forward... Better to have a back injury than your head inserted through the top of the screen frame ... My .02

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I appreciate the alternate view. I'll take it under consideration. I had not ruled out going with the 3 pt belt system.

Mike

JonPiz

Donation Time
re

I eventually cut a length off my garden hose and it was a perfect fit!! The wife didnt notice it about 12" shorter