• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Donation Time

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I neglected my donation recently so I just did it. My apologies. A reminder to all those that need to pitch in. I have noticed an increase in lurkers from the tiger world looking for a free ride.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd like to stay current as well but remain confused on donations.

--- Are donations supposed to be done at the end of a calendar year - or 12 months following a donation?

I looked for guidance at the site's control panel and also looked around the site but didn't spot an answer.

--- Are site users who do not donate allowed to post FOR SALE items, or list FOR SALE items for others who are not contributors?

If so, I suggest that they should not be allowed.

I believe it's common practice for forums to restrict use of the FOR SALE area to people who support the site financially.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Paul

And I are pals if he mentions the cheap Tiger guys lurking it's most likely his way of goofing off with me.

For the record here I am a contributor to the Rootes Archice Trust and do lots of un paid moderation work and forum information organization on a Tiger website.

I don't agree with my home club's rules of only allowing paid for for sale ads and member only areas. The club had a NO ADVERTISING rule that was confusing and inconsistently applied. The club also had a non transparent vetted marketplace that sparked one person posting on the forum the two words "insider trading." When I fought against that system my moving comment was if one guy has the balls to say it many many guys think it.

The costs involved in running my home forum I know, the one's here being a earlier version of V bulletin are likely close and can be paid with what my partnership sent to the Rootes Archive Trust the real home club house of all our cars.

If you'd like to make a donation where it will have a really big impact please contact Graham on the UK Tiger site.

This posting is not meant to be a solicitation or a diversion away from SAOCA donations. STOA, STOC, LASSC, and other club's I drift in and out of treat guests nicely and respectfully. I appreciate the ability to post here. I have and could easily recall the objections that my home club said when asked to change their advertising and selling policies, " People will just go to eBay or where it's free on Fakebook they are going there anyway."

Just one more thing several sites also restrict for sale ads to guys that contribute X number of postings and content. As I tell my bosses no content no forum no new posts no visits no personal contact and sense of community no bueno, but I also tell them sometimes a Train wreck of a posting is entertaining as long as nobody gets hurt.

Last edited:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, thanks for your support. It's support like yours that helps us keep the lights on here at the SAOCA. It's how we pay for website hosting and maintenance fees, club insurance, Invasion support, etc. And as we work through the site redevelopment, we're looking at several thousand dollars in outside costs.

We are completely member funded, and without donations, this site and all its invaluable information go away. A donation to any other Sunbeam club helps us in no way, so we appreciate you choosing to support the SAOCA. Until the club itself figures out how to buy a rough Tiger, restore it and sell it for $100k plus, we have to figure out how to survive on member donations.

Allan, officially, according to the by-laws, dues are annual and renew on the first of the month of your anniversary (If like you, someone donates February 22, 2016, you're due to renew February 1, 2017). We're looking at amending the by-laws so that all dues renew on October 1. But we're still working out how to unify everyone to that date. What are your thoughts, give everyone a free pass until October? Prorate 2017 dues based on the renewal quarter? Or do we borrow a page from the other Sunbeam sites and made dues a flat $25 for membership then allow people to buy Sunbeam regalia to make up the difference (instead of giving away calendars and whatnot for free)? We welcome yours and anyone else's suggestions on those questions.

As for locking down the for-sale section to members only, we're bound by those by-laws again. Our intrepid founding fathers envisioned a club where sponsorship is voluntary and no section of the site should be locked down to non-sponsors. Also, there's concern that people will just start selling stuff in other sections (which is often done now). My personal feeling is that if you can make money off the club, you can share the wealth.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks!
No, I don't think one should have to pay to advertise, as this encourages folks that are looking to sell an old estate Sunbeam to use the site. This has happened a couple times and members have been able to help someone find a home for a car.
But if you're in the habit of using the site for your own personal gain, finding and or buying (like me) then I think you should cough up a little coin. I hope that those using the site as a personal coach in a restoration can also contribute if they can afford it.

SAOCA forever!

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Greg,

I'm ok with annual dues set for "whenever," but am forgetful as to the "when."

An established annual date for everyone works for me, and October 1 is as good as any other time to me.

I'd be ok with a free pass for everyone to get things standardized.

I'd also be ok with a voluntary pro-rated donation to cover the portion of the year between an anniversary date and the initial October 1 renewal date.

But keeping it simple is probably important - judging by how easily I get off track :)

I really like the calendar, and also keep a sticker on my Alpines.

I think I'd send a calendar to everyone as a by-product of the annual dues, unless they indicated "no thanks" for a calendar.

Regarding ads in the FOR SALE section, it never occurred to me that posting in the FOR SALE section might be restricted to members who support the club financially, until I tried to post elsewhere.

This strikes me as fair although I appreciate that mileage may vary.

It's a perk for membership but does come with the administrative cost of monitoring by someone, which might be a hassle.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
The Board reviewed the original post of this string and Greg stepped up and responded on the Board's behalf.

The people that started SAOCA did it with high ideals which subsequent Boards have continued. This Board will continue in that path. Their goal was to provide information and support to those interested in our cars in order to preserve them. Feel free to add.

The Club's founders set in place that dues were optional, leaving it to the membership to invest what each could afford. The information was free to all. I've said it before, our supporting members have always been generous. This Board has discussed ways, within the bylaws, that we can add value to membership in hopes to encourage more participation.

It's my goal to finally update this site as well as encourage regional activity and this Board is fully behind these goals. I'm grateful for their dedication.

As far as requesting dues on a given date, the idea is to provide the Board a budget in order to know how many calendars to produce and get to members by December so everyone gets full use of the calendar. It would also give us the ability to budget and pay for invasions and regional events, regalia, membership premiums etc.

I look forward to your comments.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quotes: "My personal feeling is that if you can make money off the club, you can share the wealth†and “But if you're in the habit of using the site for your own personal gain, finding and or buying (like me) then I think you should cough up a little coin.†I completely agree.

I admit that I occasionally lurk on other club forums - but I won’t join them. I find that the SAOCA is, by far, heads-and-shoulders above the others and gets my sole financial support and commentary. Its little surprise that once members of ‘dues-required’ clubs find their way here they sign right up. Overall, except for 3-4 mutts who I would like to see gone from the rolls, I find our membership to be a great bunch of guys/gals who love their cars and support the marque.

I realize that financial circumstances can affect one’s ability to donate. I get it ….. 30 years ago I had 3 small kids and a stay-at-home wife so money was tight. But I find it hard to believe such a large percentage of the membership is unable to toss a few nickels into the ‘ole pot. Where else can you go to get the resources you’ll find from the SAOCA? There are numerous postings where problems were solved through the voluntary efforts of the veterans so, even if you don’t use it to peddle parts, the club deserves financial support even if it’s modest. If you’re able, that is.

I agree that membership should not require a donation, dues, contribution, whatever you want to call it. My belief is that if you wanna lurk, okay, but once you start or reply to a post you have chosen to step out from the shadows. We have guys here who, by their own admissions, have good paying jobs/retirement or a large collection of parts or valuable cars and will pay to be in other clubs. Yet they’ll peddle parts, ask for tech advice and offer their opinions without kicking in a buck. We know who they are. I say if you can’t monetarily contribute to the club then sell your parts elsewhere and keep your comments to yourself!

Just my unofficial and unsolicited, but contributed, 2¢.

Mark ….. volvoguys

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Treasurer

I get to see a lot, so I Know a lot! An say little of what others Donate because of my elected position.

I have to remain silent on some of these things for unity I suppose. But Volvoguys sent a check to "The Treasurer of SAOCA" when his dues were due.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the great posting Mark. I agree with most of your statements and respect your positions. Thanks for being a valued participant of SAOCA. You can serve as a model for all. Regards, Pete

Quotes: "My personal feeling is that if you can make money off the club, you can share the wealth†and “But if you're in the habit of using the site for your own personal gain, finding and or buying (like me) then I think you should cough up a little coin.†I completely agree.

I admit that I occasionally lurk on other club forums - but I won’t join them. I find that the SAOCA is, by far, heads-and-shoulders above the others and gets my sole financial support and commentary. Its little surprise that once members of ‘dues-required’ clubs find their way here they sign right up. Overall, except for 3-4 mutts who I would like to see gone from the rolls, I find our membership to be a great bunch of guys/gals who love their cars and support the marque.

I realize that financial circumstances can affect one’s ability to donate. I get it ….. 30 years ago I had 3 small kids and a stay-at-home wife so money was tight. But I find it hard to believe such a large percentage of the membership is unable to toss a few nickels into the ‘ole pot. Where else can you go to get the resources you’ll find from the SAOCA? There are numerous postings where problems were solved through the voluntary efforts of the veterans so, even if you don’t use it to peddle parts, the club deserves financial support even if it’s modest. If you’re able, that is.

I agree that membership should not require a donation, dues, contribution, whatever you want to call it. My belief is that if you wanna lurk, okay, but once you start or reply to a post you have chosen to step out from the shadows. We have guys here who, by their own admissions, have good paying jobs/retirement or a large collection of parts or valuable cars and will pay to be in other clubs. Yet they’ll peddle parts, ask for tech advice and offer their opinions without kicking in a buck. We know who they are. I say if you can’t monetarily contribute to the club then sell your parts elsewhere and keep your comments to yourself!

Mark ….. volvoguys

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well said!
2 cents worth a bag of gold!

Mark ….. volvoguys

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
When I first joined, I lurked a bit and asked a couple of questions. After a while I decided to donate $5 since I was getting some info, and like others said it's good and valuable info I can't get elsewhere, so why not donate? After that first donation I have since bumped it up to the $25 donation but now I'm not on the forum as much. I mainly do it for the calendar but I feel good about my donation. I DO come by several times a month and check out what's going on or what's for sale. I've even bought a good amount of stuff from other members that saved me a bunch of money otherwise, and helped propel my project even further.

As bad and as many years as I wanted a Sunbeam, I probably would have sold it by now if it wasn't for this forum because I wouldn't have any idea what to do as I'm quite unfamiliar with these little British cars. So many thanks to this forum, it's members, admin, and all.

-Kyle.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Is there a non-Paypal donation path?
I don't/won't do Paypal in any form.
Square is $10 (once) and standard CC percentage per transaction, no minimum.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Is there a non-Paypal donation path?
I don't/won't do Paypal in any form.
Square is $10 (once) and standard CC percentage per transaction, no minimum.

We haven't set up credit card with anyone. It's possible through PayPal, but yeah, it's still PayPal. Square looks like a good option. I'll explore it and bring it up at the next board meeting. Thanks, Ken.

Our treasurer, DanR, has been kind enough to allow members to mail checks made payable to "SAOCA" directly to him.

Dan Richardson, Treasurer SAOCA
123 RICHARDSON DR
GREENWOOD, SC 29649

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Thanks. I'll do that, so there's no real rush on Square.
I do use Square for customers who need to pay with their corporate AMEX cards, and it works great, and I have my money next day even with their standard service.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, I've been out working fixing a busted water line today! Just got back in and saw your POST!

Greggers answered like I would have.

I always ask specifically for "all" checks for donations/dues/etc be made directly to SAOCA. When I received them as the Treasurer, I made deposits to our (SAOCA) account. Just make sure we get all of your address and contact info including the Forum Handle. Helps us all in keeping the data correct, especially the Membership Director in mailings.

Then forward the notice to our Membership Director (Greggers) for any necessary up dates mailings etc.

Don't know what you are saying about "Square" ?

How does that work? What is involved? Charges? etc....

Thanks for help in improving the SAOCA (The Best).

And many thanks for your continued support,

DanR

Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
No worries. Might have a work-around, too.

https://www.squareup.com

Square was one of the early CC processing providers to escape the usual CC 'merchant services' contracts, with minimums, etc. Basically lets you run CC charges from wherever you are, by phone, tablet, or an actual computer. They have a scanner and chip reader, with a Visa/MC/Amex blanket (blended) rate of 2.75%, or 3.5% for non-scanned processing. Not the cheapest out there, but there are no other fees for basic services. (I'm sure Paypal has fees, too.)

Setup to feed your account takes about 15 minutes, and talks straight to your designated bank account. It's capable enough to run a coffee shop from, with their little POS system, if you want to go that far. But I just do it from my phone, because I only have one (recurring) customer that uses Amex. Never had any issues -- and it's usually a few months between charges.

They offer receipts to cardholder via email, text, or none. For customers who opt for 'none' because they wish to hold their email/phone private from Square, I usually just cut-and-past most of the receipt they send me, that has the transaction tracking number on it. That usually will suffice.

Running a charge takes about a minute, so it's not the fastest method. But then, we're not talking 80+ transactions per hour either.

Certainly don't bother if it's just for me. But if folks want to move forward, I can recommend them.

There are now several other players in that field, too. The club's bank may have seen the handwriting on the wall regarding excessive merchant services fees, and may have something attractive, too.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the club's bank participates in ClearXchange, it opens up the ability for funds transfers between bank accounts without fees. Folks push funds from their bank account by specifying an e-mail address for the club.

https://www.clearxchange.com/

Even if the club bank account is not with a member bank, I think you can register with ClearXchange. I think only folks with participating banks' accounts can then send money to the club.

Mike