• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Does anyone understand how this damn thing runs?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sure would like to see the compressor that allows it to run. Wonder how they powered it? 'Cause what they showed sure would not "run".
Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know a lot about it. It was built by some of my fellow propulsion engineers working in the labs at Wright-Patterson AFB.
I looked at this about 6 months ago when it went on display.
Yes, it uses the high flowing heads from the Gm Quad4 and they are flowing air using both intake & exhaust valves. There's a Quad4 head on top of the combustion chamber and another below. All 8 valves flow air into the combustion chamber at a pretty significant rate (using a compressor disk & powered by a Rotax ultralight airplane engine).
This project was built as a dare that no airplane could fly on pulse detonation alone. The skeptics were wrong, but you really wont see this on light aircraft like this one. Pulse detonation technology would be used on military aircraft.
Jan