• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

dizzy help

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
Can someone help to understand what the knob on the side of the dizzy does and how does it work? I am about to change the points, condenser and rotor and I am try to understand this?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
That knob is for fine adjust of the timing. You initially set the timing by loosening the clamp on the dizzy and rotating the dizzy for correct static timing. Then you can do a more precise adjustment using the kittle knob. Note on the body of the dizzy near the knob it has arrows to show which way to turn the knob to Advance or Retard the timing. The WSM shows how to set the timing.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Back in the 1980's, when I was still running a 1725, I had a salesman call on me who had been an engineer for Ford in a prior life. He was a car guy, and I showed him my Alpine. He told me if I used the little wheel to advance the timing my engine would run better and I would probably get better gas mileage. I always keep a log and figure my mileage after every fill up. Although I was somewhat skeptical, I took his advice and gave the knob a half turn at my next fill up. He was right! I repeated this process at every fill up for the rest of the summer until I finally went too far and the engine wasn't happy - I went back to the previous setting. I gained about 3 mpg with no negative side effects.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Great idea , Todd. The manual suggests adjusting it for best acceleration or something like, that. Very hard to gauge. But MPG per tank is a great way!