• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Distributor Vacuum Advance

67Survivor

Donation Time
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the vacuum advance on the distributor. On my Series V, the entire Vacuum assembly is loose and moves about where it is mounted to the distributor. The nut is on tight etc, but the whole thing just wiggles around. Is this normal? If not, should I be looking at upgrading to an electronic ignition?
Thank you,
Rob

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

I replaced my Dizzy a long time ago so am responding from memory - the Alpine distributors have a timing fine adjustment knurled wheel that was associated with the vacuum advance unit - if I recall from my old Dizzy the vacuum advance unit passed through the Dizzy body and was not a tight fit so moved a little rotationaly but not fore and aft (which would adjust timing)..

Again this is largely from memory but I hope it helps.

thanks

Gary

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The advance unit is captured by the vernier knob.
If its loosie-goosie then figure out why the knob lets it be so.

IIRC there is an elestomer o-ring or the like to keep it from bouncing around.

67Survivor

Donation Time
Thank you so much guys. Saves me driving to your houses and wiggling your dizzy.... Your wives might give me a funny look.