• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Differential needed

London

Donation Time
Hi

I need a differential for a 67 V - ideally a 3.89 in good condition .
I am in Northern California - prefer local - but happy to pay someone for professional packing and shipping if needs be, from afar!
If you have one please let me know and your price.

Thanks in advance.

T

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
come down

Get Lee's hard tops and I have 2 rear ends SIV's low miles. One was an auto trans car the other std. No idea on ratio.

Last edited:

London

Donation Time
Hi Warren

You have whole rear ends available? I think that's what you are saying - can you confirm - I ideally only need the diff. But..... Am open to possibilities.

Can you say a bit more about things and where you are located etc and prices.
If you want to you can contact me privately thro the site.

Thanks for contacting me.
T

65beam

Donation Time
differential

series 5 cars that came to the states had 4.22 gears. series 5 did have a different axle from previous cars but didn't they change the axle splines somewhere in series 5 production? don't remember when the switch was made but this would mean you could not use the entire center section from a previous car if your series 5 is a late car. the gears could be switched over to your carrier or you could swap the entire rear end unit out for a series 4 with the 3.89 gears.

London

Donation Time
Thanks

Are you saying I can only swop out the differential with 4.22? Unless I replace the whole axle?
I guess if so should look for a 4.22! As I want to do what's simple.

The mechanic I know says he will help me pull the diff but not rebuild. His suggestion - find a replacement - there is significant lash in the pinion - a clunk on acceleration and gear change - not the u joints.

Can anyone expand this point please?

Thanks

T

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers
Just about any swap is possible as long as the inner axle splines match the pumpkin
My Sll has SlV axles with a SV 3:89 differential.They say yhe first 10,000 SVs have 4:22 rear ratios.All OD cars also had 4:22 except the Slll which got it right and used 3;89 with OD..
Agm
I have both.

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
You might want to pull the Diff and check the bolts. Most of them will have loose or broken bolts holding the gear down. That could tighten it up enough that you don't have to replace it. Mine went from really loose to not too bad. I had one broken bolt and all the other bolts were loose with wear on the sides.

London

Donation Time
Differential needed and codes

Hi guys

Thanks for the info. I came across a seller who has several diffs.
The figures on the crown wheels where from photos:

9 x 35 - 6ym (could be something other than 6- unclear)

9x38- pno

10 x 37 cnp.

What do they mean and what ratio are the diffs?

Thanks

T

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If that's really a 37 X 10 (a rare 3.70 diff), consider buying it quick if it appears to be in good condition! The 35 X 9 is the 3.89, 38 X 9 = 4.22. (Substitute a division sign for the "X" to calculate the ratio) What kind of prices is he asking?

As Agramason wrote, roughly the first 10,500 SV's had 4.22s. The rest had 3.89s. SV OD cars all had 4.22's.

And do check the crownwheel bolts, no matter what diff you buy. Unless a PO looked at them, the bolts are probably loose under those soft tab washers. When someone needs a new diff, it's a good bet it's because the bolts loosened enough in the old one that the gears have worn from being slightly out of alignment and started squealing/shrieking, or one of the loose bolts broke off and jammed in the gears.

Last edited:

London

Donation Time
Differential needed and codes

Hi guys

Thanks for the info. I came across a seller who has several diffs.
The figures on the crown wheels where from photos:

9 x 35 - 6ym (could be something other than 6- unclear)

9x38- pno

10 x 37 cnp.

What do they mean and what ratio are the diffs?

Thanks

T

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Agramason wrote, roughly the first 10,500 SV's had 4.22s. The rest had 3.89s. SV OD cars all had 4.22's.

The Tech Data section indicates all LRX (US market) series V had the 4.22 rear end. Is that incorrect?

My series V owner's manual inside cover has an Erratum sticker for North America to update the gear ratios to reflect the 4.22 rear end.

Mike

Last edited:

London

Donation Time
Differential needed price

Hi

I was asked what the seller asking price for the 3.7 diff - he is asking 150 for any ratio of diff - he has one 3.7 and two 3.89.
What do folk think of the price?
T

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Personally, at that price I'd buy the 3.70 and also one of the 3.89s as a spare in case the 3.70 turns out to be a howler.

Re Series V gear ratios. Per the Rootes Parts List manual, #6600992, the switch from 4.22's to 3.89's in non-OD USA/Canadian Alpines took place after # B395010312.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
differential

I had a series 5 that was built the last week of production and it had a 4.22 in it. didn't the late cars have a different spline on the axles?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The parts manual doesn't show any changes to axles during SV production. The only listed late-SV changes to the diff were the part number itself on the diff assembly, and the front coupling and seal at the same time.

A lot of our Alpines didn't have the original diff when we bought them. The soft-tab washer/broken bolt problem has been around a loooong time. I blew up my first SV diff back in the late '70s.

More on ratios: the manual says that 4.22's became the standard unit starting at # B94102641 of Series IV production destined for US/Canada, so of the last 1,829 SIV VIN's that arrived here, all had 4.22's.

London

Donation Time
Hi

Thanks for your great advice and info.

My current diff as well as clunking howls at 55mph so I think it must be worn ??

Does tightening crown bolts deal with howling if they are loose?. Or does howling just indicate wear?

Thanks again for your helpful advice on getting a back up diff in case a howler!

Judging from the run numbers you gave if original,my current diff is probably 3.89

T

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The general wisdom is: "once a howler, always a howler." Anyone know of exceptions?

Tightening the bolts before it starts howling seems to ward off disaster. Correct replacement bolts with the right shoulder length are very hard to find.

Last edited:

London

Donation Time
differential needed - more info?

Hi

My mechanic friend says I should ask which car in the Alpine series a 3.7 came from? Will it match with a later V axel? My car built 2/3rds of way thro V run.

I assume a 3.89 was standard then?

Are all 3.89's compatible with a V axel or should I know which series they come from before I replace?

Thanks for all your invaluable help

T

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The 3.70 was never used in Series Alpines. It appeared on the later Alpine GT four-seater fastback. It is pretty much a straight swap to the Series V. The one exception is the front coupling, which is longer on the 3.70 diff. Some people don't bother, but I recommend swapping out the shorter coupling from your howler. A longer coupling means less room and less margin for error as the driveshaft slides into the tranny when you go over big bumps. Why take a chance? I'd also install a new front oil seal at the same time. I once burned up a set of 3.70's when the seal failed.