• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Difference between an Alpine and a Tiger in the Engine Compartment

tigretr

Donation Time
The big reason I chose this motor is because it is only 19 inches from crank centerline to the top of the motor. Just like the Alpine engine. The intake even turns down towards the front of the motor which helps even more. I would never have done it if I needed to modify the hood line.

I just picked the motor up. Looks like it is 26 inches across at the valve covers. That will fit (with massaging of the fender wells I think or at least the fender well gussets). Room for the headers will be a challenge, but if there wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brian, I have limited mods in my history,

But one regret was settling for a limited result.

Shoot for the Moon,... even if it takes more than One Rocket.

" ...Wish I could go the DCT route but there is just no room for it"

Tell me it's not so!

Just Do it, even if as a round two.

AND take pics to share the fun!

DW

tigretr

Donation Time
Brian, I have limited mods in my history,

But one regret was settling for a limited result.

Shoot for the Moon,... even if it takes more than One Rocket.

" ...Wish I could go the DCT route but there is just no room for it"

Tell me it's not so!

Just Do it, even if as a round two.

AND take pics to share the fun!

DW
Your encouragement is much appreciated. I know I know, the dct thing is a big one. Wish there was a doable answer. I have given very serious thought to taking the ring and pinion out of a dct and installing an output shaft so I could use a driveshaft. Unfortunately that ring and pinion are usually buried right in the middle of the tranny and there would be no good way to make it work. You have however motivated me to make a few more phone calls on the topic. This motor was not designed to have a pressure plate and throw out thrusting the bearings. This shouldn't be a big deal, bit if it is, it's a very big deal. So the DCT would eliminate this. Looks like BMW might be an option. I'll keep digging.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Your encouragement is much appreciated. I know I know, the dct thing is a big one. Wish there was a doable answer. I have given very serious thought to taking the ring and pinion out of a dct and installing an output shaft so I could use a driveshaft. Unfortunately that ring and pinion are usually buried right in the middle of the tranny and there would be no good way to make it work. You have however motivated me to make a few more phone calls on the topic. This motor was not designed to have a pressure plate and throw out thrusting the bearings. This shouldn't be a big deal, bit if it is, it's a very big deal. So the DCT would eliminate this. Looks like BMW might be an option. I'll keep digging.
What about transaxle?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, for the benefit of future searches,

Brian, you should start a fresh thread on

the Alparrari or Ferrapine ...or you name it.

As far as the rear main leak, Hmmm, I would try

Pulling a vacuum on the crank case.

From my limited Ferrari research, the Getrag DCT

7 speed transaxle would be SOMETHING behind

that Turbo Rootes engine.

Putting an "old fashioned" 5 speed behind that

Ferrari V8 would be.... well, a step back.

DW

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
My thought would be to enjoy what you have and if it aint broke, ya probaby don't need to fix it - ha. Your turbo V6 sounds like a lot of fun.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I started from scratch today, a DCT would be the starting point.

....sadly, I have TONS of "old fashioned" Manual Transmissions

IN-stock....

....not that there's anything Wrong with that.... :)

DW

alpine_64

Donation Time
My thought would be to enjoy what you have and if it aint broke, ya probaby don't need to fix it - ha. Your turbo V6 sounds like a lot of fun.
Brian's motor i's actually a turbo sunbeam 4cyl.. we'll head, crank and block..about all else is custom.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Curious what HP can turbo 4 cyl Alpine get?

See post #9 of this thread. It's more than I thought. :)

tigretr

Donation Time
See post #9 of this thread. It's more than I thought. :)

Dyno session with my previous turbo yielded 182RWHP and 172 ftlb torque.