• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Devil May Care

bashby

Donation Time
Reading a book titled "Devil May Care" by Sebastian Faulks writing as Ian Fleming, an Alpine is mentioned...
"At one minute to nine, a white Sunbeam Alpine drew up with a squeak alongside him. The hood was down, and in the driving seat, in dark glasses and a distractingly short red linen dress, was Scarlett Papava.
"Hop in, James. You can push the seat back if you like."
Before he had time to settle himself, she let in the clutch, and the little car sped off towards the place de la Concorde.
Bond smiled. "Are we in a hurry?"
"I think so," said Scarlett..."
"..."Why did you go for the Alpine , not the Tiger?" said Bond.
"My father found it for me. Second-hand. The Tiger's bigger, isn't it?"
"It has a V8 engine," said Bond, "but the Sunbeam chassis can't really handle that much torque. Anyway, you don't need it. Not the way you drive.""
Decent read...

Nickodell

Donation Time
Interesting discussion. Must have taken Bond back to the chase scene in Dr. No.

I guess "then there's the reversed Ackerman steering" would be too much for the average reader.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting discussion. Must have taken Bond back to the chase scene in Dr. No.

I guess "then there's the reversed Ackerman steering" would be too much for the average reader.

And would be totally lost on the Tiger guys, who seem to insist that Ackerman does not matter. If they can turn the wheel to lock and back up without scrubbing the tire off the wheel, every thing's fine.

Bill