• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Deleting a thread

wendmd91

Silver Level Sponsor
How do you delete a thread? I’ve looked and can’t seem to find anything on the thread posting. It’s probably staring me right in the face and I can’t see it. Thanks!

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are logged in, the bottom of your posts should show links to Report, Edit or Delete the post.

Click on Delete and follow the prompts.

wendmd91

Silver Level Sponsor
If you are logged in, the bottom of your posts should show links to Report, Edit or Delete the post.

Click on Delete and follow the prompts.

Ok I see those options on my reply post however on my original post it doesn’t need give me the delete option. I can’t delete the whole thing...

Attachments

• 9D26F6BF-A0A5-4584-BF0C-530CFF1937FF.png
    9D26F6BF-A0A5-4584-BF0C-530CFF1937FF.png
    525.2 KB · Views: 3

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
the bottom of your posts should show links to Report, Edit or Delete the post.

wendmd91,​

I can’t delete the whole thing...

I think you still have the options to edit the title or the first post to show "sold" or "no longer available"

Barry,

To delete an entire thread, I think you have to put in a request to have one of the club board members do the deed.

There may be a short window after a thread is started when the option is possible, but not sure if it ends at the first responding post, a set time limit, or both.

Even as a moderator, I don't have the thread delete option on my initial "new" thread postings. There was some board discussion in the past concerning a possible issue.

I have the delete option, as a moderator, in ONLY the forum I have the privilege to moderate. Thankfully, I've never been put in a position I was required to use those features.

IIRC, the Board's general thought is information is information and deserves a home.

Hope this helps,

wendmd91

Silver Level Sponsor

wendmd91,​

I think you still have the options to edit the title or the first post to show "sold" or "no longer available"

Barry,

To delete an entire thread, I think you have to put in a request to have one of the club board members do the deed.

There may be a short window after a thread is started when the option is possible, but not sure if it ends at the first responding post, a set time limit, or both.

Even as a moderator, I don't have the thread delete option on my initial "new" thread postings. There was some board discussion in the past concerning a possible issue.

I have the delete option, as a moderator, in ONLY the forum I have the privilege to moderate. Thankfully, I've never been put in a position I was required to use those features.

IIRC, the Board's general thought is information is information and deserves a home.

Hope this helps,

Ok thank you! I had a notification that one of my sold classifieds was deleted and there was a message saying to please delete the threads as items sell. I tried to do that but couldn’t find a way so I started to reply that a given item was sold. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Hopefully the person that deleted the first sold item thread can do so again.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Posting sold on an item takes care of our own spaces;)

This software can be tweaked to allow hard deleting threads. But given the space available not a lot of reasons to do so. Moderators should be able to see our edits. It's useful to see them as something out of bounds may be posted , a reaction achieved the a poster may attempt to cover his tracks by editing. The biggest reason to not allow hard deleting is the Norm Miller Exodus from another Sunbeam forum.
Good content was lost . It's an interesting story for another day.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
A few of us can delete threads, and I have in the past when a member asks, but I agree with those who think they should generally remain for posterity and documentation. I also think adding "Sold" to the listing is a good practice to avoid confusion.

wendmd91

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies all! Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything when I got that notification. Glad I can help out some members by getting some parts back out into the wild.

Attachments

• F3F4B1FE-509B-4AFA-A46A-6F0926DD732C.png
    F3F4B1FE-509B-4AFA-A46A-6F0926DD732C.png
    393.9 KB · Views: 8

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A few of us can delete threads, and I have in the past when a member asks, but I agree with those who think they should generally remain for posterity and documentation. I also think adding "Sold" to the listing is a good practice to avoid confusion.
The problem another forum has is people will avoid the paywall by adding on to an existing thread.
Some forums delete after 60 day some close them or don't have a pay wall but have a minimum posting count before allowing for sale items.

I'm not saying that pay walls are a bad thing. For example Craigslist charges 5 buck per car for sale. They make an attempt to flush out the ner do wells this way. Payment cannot be made with a pre paid card. Forums as here do the same by thing by their minimum membership level. 10 dollars here is quite fair. I used to get unsolicited badgering from he whose name shan't be mentioned here. I told him as soon as I sell something :)
Then I posted 10% of the sale will be sent in as a donation. Bang item sold and the badger picked another argument:(

Deleting threads can be a dual edge sword. It's easier to close them which stops the non payer from tagging on and there's a little vetting of the members by their data gleaned by the payment.

Some require a price like one of the mothers of all forums TheSamba, a huge VW forum. Rules are like fences as they make good neighbors and keep out the varmints, or at least give it a try.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am the moderator who deleted that thread. Almost all postings have info that can help in the future for those doing a search.
Posting a for sale ad with no price listed and just taking offers by private message does not help anyone trying to price their own parts if they choose to sell them later on or to help establish a market price. I understand the seller has no idea of values but he can also research on this site to get educated on pricing or list on eBay and let the market decide. Odds are he would have come out way ahead by doing so. And yes many website forums require that a price be listed in any for sale ad-so far not a requirement here but that is everyone's first thought-"how much do you want for it?"

Last edited:

wendmd91

Silver Level Sponsor
I am the moderator who deleted that thread. Almost all postings have info that can help in the future for those doing a search.
Posting a for sale ad with no price listed and just taking offers by private message does not help anyone trying to price their own parts if they choose to sell them later on or to help establish a market price. I understand the seller has no idea of values but he can also research on this site to get educated on pricing or list on eBay and let the market decide. Odds are he would have come out way ahead by doing so.

If it would be beneficial I could list the selling price when marking items sold? I am less interested in getting top dollar and more interested in getting these parts back out to someone in need (and also out of my shop). Frankly the time it would take me to try and research everything here would be cost ineffective.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If it would be beneficial I could list the selling price when marking items sold? I am less interested in getting top dollar and more interested in getting these parts back out to someone in need (and also out of my shop). Frankly the time it would take me to try and research everything here would be cost ineffective.
Most guys that don't post a price seem to want MK2 prices. Be sure I wasn't criticizing anyone that decides not to post one. I had a guy offer me 5 dollars for a RM865 Rootes key. It would not have been as insulting but the offeree has a brick and mortar repair shop.

I was looking at your parts for sale and told a newbie Tiger owner about a spare tire hold down that I think you had. The Tiger ones are shorter but once you get a non bias belted tire it is too short.

My . 02 cents on the paywall was only posted because if y'all decide to have em it's unpopular when you close threads and delete them . I support the extremely reasonable pay wall addition because I know the benefits outweigh the miniscule payment.