• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash Pad Installation Series V

bashby

Donation Time
I am certain that this has been asked many times. I got a new dash pad for my Series V from Curt at CS a couple of years ago and am finally ready to install it. My car had a homemade dash pad on it so, I do not know where the OEM pad is supposed to hit under the windshield. The photo was taken on the right-side of the car by the defroster vent and is marked "1" and "2".
Is either one of these where the dash pad is supposed to stop? When I install the pad it goes on all of the way to the "2" mark.
Thanks
-Bill

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
dash pad

line up the defroster vent openings of the body with the openings in the crash pad. if your pad does not have the vent openings cut,send it back and buy a properly made one. and don't for any reason glue the pad down. use the screws for the defroster vents and use some silicone sealer to secure it at the area where the pad turns down over the metal towards the instruments.i do use contact cement to glue the flaps underneath. depending on the temp at installation you may see weird things happen when it expands and contracts with temp changes if you glue it down solid. you also need to use rope caulk when you set the windshield to seal it. rick used to sell the rope caulk but you can buy it at any hardware store. makes for easy removal later.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Should go to #2. I've found that in order to get the vent holes to line up front to back you sometimes need to shave a bit of the foam off where it rolls around at the top of the dash. You'll also have to trim/cut a bit at the sides to fit around the body flange where the door weatherstrip will be. Easy enough to fit, just take your time dry fitting first.

65beam

Donation Time
dash pad

you'll also find the the new batch out there now have an excess of foam at the windshield area. doug has had to shave it down in order to get the windshield to set right.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
HI Folks,
I'm in the process of doing the same thing, Bob your saying to only glue at the ends of the pad (where the metal finishers go) and use silicone under where the cardboard trim goes over the dash itself? What about under the pad where the windscreen frame sits? How are you guys "shaving" the pad?

Thanks, Tom j

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've used a very sharp razor type knife, but you have to be careful up against the molded plastic so as not to cut through. Fit around the sides first so that it slides all the way forward until the foam is against the dash. Then check the vent openings to see how far forward it needs to move. Take that amount off the foam where it rolls over, a bit at a time to be sure you get it right. So fit, shave, fit shave, etc until you're happy with the fit. At the leading edge you can work with course sand paper too since it's nearly flat.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
More questions, When dry fitting the pad should it just"fall" into place, mine right now fits well if I give it a little push to get it into position. How thick should the part that goes under the windscreen frame be? And back to Bob's thoughts on attaching the pad(see above post) any one else attach theirs in this manner?

Thanks, Tom j