• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash gauges

royal scot

Donation Time
Does anyone know if the chrome rings that are crimped around the dash gauges can come off to re paint the needles.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Yes. You should see slots in the gauge housing and tabs on the chrome rings that need to be aligned. If they've been in the elements or untouched for 50 years, it can be very hard to twist the chrome ring into alignment.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Also there are 2 rubber rings, a circle profile one between the the chrome ring and glass and another with square profile between the glass and the gauge faceplate. Over time these deteriorate and often "glue" themselves to the surfaces they are in contact with making the the removal of the chrome ring almost impossible. Clearful bending of the tabs may be the only way to get the ring off but extreme care needs to be exercised as these tabs are quite brittle and easily broken off. Although I have never tried this idea, and others here will no doubt offer advise, soaking in warm soapy water may help loosen the bond but of course only immerse the gauge to a depth so that only the ring is in water. Other liquids may do a better job of dissolving the bond.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Replacement chrome surrounds.

At the recent Beaulieu auto jumble in the UK there was a company selling new chrome surrounds. I have never removed a chrome surround without doing a small amount of damage. so maybe try it with the knowledge that you can repair it. G

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have removed over 25 of the chrome rings from the tach and speedo, and several from the smaller gauges. I usually had to pry the tabs up a bit to relive some of the tension. Do t his carefully to minimize any bending visible from the front. Then I use a rubber gripper pad designed to help open fruit jars in the kitchen. Warming the rings in hot water- setting the gauge face down in a shallow pan of hot water usually helps. Then rotate the ring, like opening a pickle jar, until the tabs line up with the notches in the case rim. If there is any remnant of the rubber gasket on the outside that fits between the back of the gauge rim and the dashboard then you'll need to remove that before any other steps.

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a difficult time getting a speedometer chrome ring to rotate recently. I was able to use a mouse pad with a rubber backing to get it to move. I flipped the mouse pad upside down, then pushed the speedo downward onto the pad while rotating the housing at the same time.

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, That sounds slick. It gets a good grip AND applies inward pressure. Would probably be effective in installing the ring as well. Think I'll try that next time. Thanks , Tom

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
At the recent Beaulieu auto jumble in the UK there was a company selling new chrome surrounds. I have never removed a chrome surround without doing a small amount of damage. so maybe try it with the knowledge that you can repair it. G

Glenn, do you have any information on the company selling the new Chrome surrounds? A name, or a URL?

greenbean

Donation Time
There is Nisonger in the US, I think in the NY area and another company in New Mexico, but I cannot remember their name. Oh yeah, there is West Valley Instruments in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles --- They rebuilt a bunch of gauges for me and did a beautiful job. You can google them :)

Last edited:

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
I wish I had made a note of the booth, Beaulieu was a free for all with about 1000 booths spread across 4 or 5 fields and it seemed pretty random. I just made a mental note about the chrome surrounds because I had messed up mine the last time I tried. G

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I know they were there about a year ago. I saw them listed.

You might give them a call.

DanR

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
VB Bezels

Mike, I know they were there about a year ago. I saw them listed.

You might give them a call.

DanR

Dan, you were correct. V13311 posted "VB bezels are found on p. 172 in their catalog." Just goes to show you that when you search on these sites, you really need to have the proper descriptor or you don't find what you are looking for. Which leaves one the only remaining option: leafing (probablly should say, "scrolling") through each page of the catalog . . . which I didn't do.:(

Last edited:

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Has anyone ordered replacement bezels from VB? Just wondering if they are good, proper profile not MG profile, etc.

I know you take a hit on shipping a little bit, but usual if I need a few of the same things from VB I order one first to check it out. I know you can return stuff, and I think they're pretty good about it, but it's just less hassle to check it first.

I did order one of the gauge o-rings but it seems too thick to work properly. Anyone have luck with those too?