• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cylinder head identification

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, guys:

Does anybody out there know how to identify a cylinder head by the numbers and dates cast into the head itself? I've got two Alpine cylinder heads that I suspect are both 1600 units but I would like to know for sure. Here's the casting number & date info:

Head #1:

"4 D 61" with "AM" cast under that - also has "1980567" cast above those numbers

Head #2:

"4 D 60" with "AM2" cast under that - also has "1980567" cast above those numbers

The head that's on the motor now I believe to be a Series V unit as it has the following numbers cast into it:

"3 D 66" with "AM" cast under that - has "1980987" cast above those numbers

The heads that I'm really trying to identify, however, are the first two mentioned. If the one with the "4 D 60" is a 1500 head, I don't want to use it. However, maybe there's no difference between the 1500 & 1600 heads. Please, can someone send me to school here?

Many thanks,

mikephillips

Donation Time
The first thing you mention, 4 D 60 for example, is the casting date. 4 for the forth day , D for the 4th month and 60 for 1960. So 4 D 60 should translate as April 4th 1960. Expect a head to probably have been placed on an engine within a month or 2 of being cast at the latest.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andy,

Even your later head ( '61 ) was cast more than a year prior to the introduction of the slightly larger intake valve heads. If they have not been changed in the past, then either could be considered a sI head. The same casting number on both heads would seem to reinforce this conclusion.

I looked in WSM 124, found a changeover serial number listed and then compared that number to the sII build dates in the tech data section of this site. Using that method indicates the ~.040 larger intake valve was introduced in July 1962. The exhaust valve was unchanged.

Just my thoughts,

HTH,