• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Creaking Centre Rod

Mark T

Donation Time
I replaced my centre rod with a new one from Rootes Post Vintages Spares in Holland. Now when I turn I'm getting a creaking sound out of the ends of the rod. It's been well greased and it's tight (checked to make sure that the nuts weren't turning). Has anyone ever had this experience?Thanks!

Mark T

Donation Time
That's what I'm afraid of! Changing that rod with the V6 in the car is not a lot of fun.

skywords

Donation Time
Mark
I don't know why but I was thinking Tie rods (sorry). Are the bushings in the center rod urethane, if so that might be normal. Don't do anything with it till you get a response from someone with more experience than me. It seems to me I have heard this before. I was considering machining some out of oilite. Has anyone tried that?

Have you tried oiling them?

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Rick! I'm not sure what they are made of. I'm guessing that a hard urethane would be correct. I e-mailed Arnoud at Rootes Post Vintage and he just responded that the creaking will go away as the grease works into them. Guess it's normal for them to creak for a while. Thanks!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi saw your post. If the joints are urethane do not lube them with petroleum grease! You need to use Dielectric Silicon Grease! :eek:

Mark T

Donation Time
That was my first thought because the rod just barely clears the bell housing, but we checked and it's not touching anything.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mark T,
Here is what is wrong, the urethane bushing's height is too high, so its compressed way too much and making the creaking sound. I don't think its going away too soon.
Solution - You need to remove the cross arm and lightly sand down the bushing.
Jan

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Mark T,
Here is what is wrong, the urethane bushing's height is too high, so its compressed way too much and making the creaking sound. I don't think its going away too soon.
Solution - You need to remove the cross arm and lightly sand down the bushing.
Jan
He said it has a proper tie rod end, and not a bushing.

Jose :)

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Jan! Sorry for the misinformation. The rod does have ball joints. My brain wasn't working when I mentioned urethane. Too many late nights working on the car and sleepless nights thinking about what still has to be done. On the plus side, the creaking is starting to quiet down!

Mark T

Donation Time
FYI, the creaking has completely disappeared and the car steers like a dream! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the centre rod that Rootes Post Vintage Spares manufactures!