• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crankshaft Bolt

howard

Donation Time
Well- I need YET ANOTHER final piece to my engine rebuild puzzle. The crank bolt I have on my 1592cc rebuilt engine is stripped. Does anyone have one for sale, or know of a compatible swap?

In case I'm not using the proper term, this is the short, fat bolt that anchors the crankshaft pulley.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just throw it away and buy a grade 8, 3/4"-16 x 1" bolt and the same grade washer. Chase the threads in the crank too. Use red Locktite.
Done...
Jan

howard

Donation Time
An EXCELLENT idea, Jan. Rather than reusing that ancient bolt that's probably structurally "tired" it makes lots more sense to use new parts. Thanks.

Allan and Al- Thanks for the leads for buying a used one. You guys are great!

howard

Donation Time
If the bolt is stripped, you have to ask yourself whats the crank going to be like?

You saved my bacon with that comment. I was able to get a set of 3/4" taps and chase the threads... otherwise I'd have REALLY messed up!

(Apparently I only needed a bottom tap, but had to buy the whole set of 3.)