• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Couple questions

Lolat324

Donation Time
Hello, just purchased a 63 Gt bought new by my father. We have been away from the Sunbeam crowd for 40 years. Needs some advice, resources, etc. 1) Tires-need a source and brand for new rubber- 165/13
2) Gas cap-what did original look like? A picture maybe? One on car doesn't look like the early shots I have of the car..
3) Coil-finish on original-black, blue, etc?
4) Very high quality resource for replacement parts-rubber seals, etc?
5) Talbot mirror-factory install? Dealer option? Or did my dad install it, he doesn't remember.

The car is a 54 year old wonderfully original car-nothing missing, a few repaints, just want to keep it running, and make sure I use factory/original parts at every turn. Thanks for the help, I'll need more.

65beam

Donation Time
questions

The best source for parts is Sunbeam Specialties. They seem to ship the right parts and have a large selection of correctly made rubber, etc. www.rootes.com or 408-371-1642
The mirror is a period piece but would probably been installed by your dad or a dealer. There was not a specific mirror installed by the factory unless it was possibly a special order car.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hello, just purchased a 63 Gt bought new by my father. We have been away from the Sunbeam crowd for 40 years. Needs some advice, resources, etc. 1) Tires-need a source and brand for new rubber- 165/13
2) Gas cap-what did original look like? A picture maybe? One on car doesn't look like the early shots I have of the car..
4) Very high quality resource for replacement parts-rubber seals, etc?
5) Talbot mirror-factory install? Dealer option? Or did my dad install it, he doesn't remember.

The car is a 54 year old wonderfully original car-nothing missing, a few repaints, just want to keep it running, and make sure I use factory/original parts at every turn. Thanks for the help, I'll need more.

Welcome to rhe fold... Be interested ro know if the user name realtes to a faster toy you own?

2. The s3 fuel cap was a round item with ribbed vertical edges used on s3 only. It was common to brit motorbikes and is availble repro. Sunbeam specialties may stock it.

3. The coil was lucas. Silver colour..see pic. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/md_701.jpg

4. Sunbeam specialties stock the most correct profile rubbers.

5. If it is a genuine talbot berlin mirror 303 then they were a factory option. They were installed at dealers but were rootes parts listed. So keep them on. The factory also offically offered delswift antenna mirrrors too.

65beam

Donation Time
questions

The new Lucas coils being sold today are usually a gold color. I have several old Lucas coils that were on Alpines and they are both silver and black.

Lolat324

Donation Time
Yes it does, I've owned a Lola T324 super vee for about 12 years. Don't race it all the time-finicky lady she is...On a motor rebuild after a upshift from 2 to 3, ended up 2 to 1, ouch!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello, just purchased a 63 Gt bought new by my father.

My series V came with a silver coil. I recently replaced it with a Lucas DLB102 coil. It is silver and needs a ballast resistor. I bought it from British Parts Northwest in Oregon: https://www.bpnorthwest.com/ignition-coil-lucas-ballasted-ignition.html

I removed the Lucas sticker on the mounting bracket to make it look more original.

Depending on your setup, I recall seeing silver Lucas coils that do not need a ballast resistor when I was searching for my coil.

Mike