• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Correct wheel trim

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a “crossover” Tiger originality question.

My Tiger has both round and square corners and a very low VIN (B382….91) I - hallmarks
Of a “crossover” from the Mark 1 Tigers to Mark 1a Tigers.

The question involves stock wheel trim.

Was the crisscross-cross pattern correct for the crossover Mark 1a’s, or was the
Slotted pattern correct.

My car came to me with a set of trim rings using the criss-cross pattern but I have
No idea whether the car came from the dealer that way.

Your assistance is very much appreciated,

Allan Ballard
-----Atlanta, Ga

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm not an authority by any means, but I'm fairly sure the MK1As had the straight slot wheel trim rings.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have a “crossover” Tiger originality question.

My Tiger has both round and square corners and a very low VIN (B382….91) I - hallmarks
Of a “crossover” from the Mark 1 Tigers to Mark 1a Tigers.

The question involves stock wheel trim.

Was the crisscross-cross pattern correct for the crossover Mark 1a’s, or was the
Slotted pattern correct.

My car came to me with a set of trim rings using the criss-cross pattern but I have
No idea whether the car came from the dealer that way.

Your assistance is very much appreciated,

Allan Ballard
-----Atlanta, Ga
Allan,

I'm assuming your mkia has the round boot and has the spec plate riverts but no spec plate?

In theory the mkia went to the slotted beauty rings... But there does seem a few of the first hundred or so IA that will occasionally pop up with the cross hatch trims... Hard to tell if it was using up what was on the line or they are fitted a little later...

Iirc there was a statement about the transition of the cross hatch trims in the BON that was later revised . I believe it may have stated the late MKI cross body cars ( pre IA) had the slotted ...but it was later determined when they had the metal hood covers they still had the cross hatch ...

Sorry it's not a definitive answer .. I believe they should be slotted...but if it's in the first 100 I could imagine a car having the cross hatch being used.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael, thanks.

That's the way I see it as well.

The car is only #91 for the production run and things happen - like mixing square and round corers
for example.

This will provide a break from LAT 70 wheels :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
The car is only #91 for the production run and things happen - like mixing square and round corers
for example.
Allan,
Just to confirm the cross body stuff is actually a production change not random. It wasn't using up bits and pieces like the trim rings that could be interchanged...they were changed in the body pressings.

That's why the early series V Alpine also had round corner boots ..( and like mkia ) but they all had the fresh air vents in the scuttles and on the tiger the revised radiator captive bolts.

The switch to square boot is a different pressing on the rear body panels and the spex plate holes are also deleted

It's your car and do what you want etc.. but I know your trying to keep it correct.
I think if you run the cross hatch just make sure they are well secured...
Personally I'd buy the repro or NOS slotted ones... Will be nice and shiney.. and are easily replaced ....
And if you want to use the X hatch for shows, your all good.

A quick thought...what did the blue mkia with white interior have at theNYC motorshow in '66?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
One thing I would point out,

The pictures I have seen of Tigers being shipped

to dealers, have the wheel trim NOT on the cars.

So the Dealer would have to install the trim rings

and hub caps.

I can see a case to be made where customers may have

suggested they prefer one trim ring over another

and the dealer would gladly comply.

...regardless the model/series.

Also dealers would up sell wheels

and have take-off wheels and trim

laying around.

DW

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
@SIVAllan

I did a quick dig...
The motorahow blue mkia with white interior had slotted trims... And there is another 66 motor show shot for a ia ..also slotted .. so it's still more likely they were slotted.. but I can see a set of X hatch making it onto a car

Attachments

• s-l400 (2)(1).jpg
    s-l400 (2)(1).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l400 (2)(1).jpg
    s-l400 (2)(1).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 29
  • mmexport1707327955770.jpg
    mmexport1707327955770.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 29

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the information fellas.

I'll mount the cross hatch if only because "that's what I got." I do like to maintain an original
appearance but this one will slip beneath the radar.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a nos set of the late ones that needs a home. I had similar trim rings and got tired of potholes turning them into roadside flotsam. I would not risk a real set of the early ones.
Plus I agree with the dealer installing what he had. The BoN and it's author had opinions like drilled boots for lic. plate, because "that's how his car was done."

By all means put on what you please just look out for potholes and high curbs.