• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Correct colors

69boss

Donation Time
I am restoring a 1961 series II. I have found most every part I need so far and the body work is well under way. The problem is the correct colors. I have obtained an original sales brochure which tells the color combinations availible. The car was originally "Moonstone" with a red interior with white piping. Where do I get the correct colors so I can match them. In particular the Moonstone, interior, and the correct color the wire wheels were painted.
John

mikephillips

Donation Time
The paint colors can be gotten from jumpinjan on this site, he has chips made. As for the exact interior color, I don't think anyone has exact original samples that don't suffer from sun and age. but you never know.

JConstable

Donation Time
All,
As I move in the direction of repainting my SV, the color question arises. While I have examined the potential color list on this site, I do not have a good idea of what these colors really look like. Obviously, differences in computer and printer capabilities prevent an accurate color display, but simple questions like which one is darker?, does it have a greener color or a bluer color? etc. would be helpful in my color choice. Once I know the approximate colors then I can order chips from Jan. The colors I am interested in are:

The greens: Glen, Forest, Holly and Orchid

The blues: Lake, Wedgewood, Quartz, Mediterranean, Oxford, Commadore, and Turquoise

In both cases I am interested in the darker colors, but the names themselves do not conjure up any mental images for me (e.g. is "Lake blue" a Crater Lake deep blue? or a scummy polluted ponding basin blue-green? Which green is a greener-green versus a bluer-green versus a yellow-green?). Perhaps referencing images in the photo gallery might be a good way to point me in the right direction. Any information would be helpful and thanks to all in building my Alpine knowledge.

John

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
This is all subjective, so you may have others with a differing opinion than mine:

Forest Green is your traditional BRG, though not as dark as the Jaguar BRG. Glen Green is lighter than Forest. Never seen Holly on a car so can't comment. Orchid Green is (in my opinion) a putrid dirty brown green. Very rare color.

Lake Blue is a smoky greyish light blue, and Wedgewood Blue is patterned after the famous Wedgewood china. It also has some grey in it but is lighter than Lake Blue. Can't comment on the other blues so hopefully others can chime in.

lemansvk

Donation Time
John,

You will find samples of some (not all) of those colours at the following page/s

http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/Paint1a.htm
http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/Paint1b.htm

They will not give you the exact shades, but will allow you to see the approximate colours and compare.

Cheers, Vic

All,
As I move in the direction of repainting my SV, the color question arises. While I have examined the potential color list on this site, I do not have a good idea of what these colors really look like. Obviously, differences in computer and printer capabilities prevent an accurate color display, but simple questions like which one is darker?, does it have a greener color or a bluer color? etc. would be helpful in my color choice. Once I know the approximate colors then I can order chips from Jan. The colors I am interested in are:

The blues: Lake, Wedgewood, Quartz, Mediterranean, Oxford, Commadore, and Turquoise

In both cases I am interested in the darker colors, but the names themselves do not conjure up any mental images for me (e.g. is "Lake blue" a Crater Lake deep blue? or a scummy polluted ponding basin blue-green? Which green is a greener-green versus a bluer-green versus a yellow-green?). Perhaps referencing images in the photo gallery might be a good way to point me in the right direction. Any information would be helpful and thanks to all in building my Alpine knowledge.

John

JConstable

Donation Time
Vic, sammaw, Series3Scott and others,
Excellent! now I know how to at least gauge my choices. Thanks to all!

John

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Once I know the approximate colors then I can order chips from Jan. The colors I am interested in are:

John,
I could make some color renderings in Photoshop and post them, but I'm having trouble with my ftp log-ins and can't upload pictures currently. I'll try working the problem in a few days.
Jan