• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

coolant line to head SV

Derek

Donation Time
Yes this thread was around a couple of months ago, running the line to the back port in a SV head. At the time I found it interesting but thought maybe if I have nothing else to do. I am now interested in doing it. I don't have nothing else to do as the motor is out of the car and getting new bearings etc.

AS I obviously had some LOP and cooling issues to get me to this I thought I'd look to improve the overall flow in the engine

My question is about the bolt size and tpi, it's odd at 11/32" (ish) x 11 tpi the AF is 15/16" it looks like it may be whitworth. This is just the plug bolt.

Has anyone found a modern fitting for this ?

I see from the parts manual that the original is quite a collection of compression, banjo and what not

Thanks Derek

Derek

Donation Time
RootesRooter,
back to the water pump, I have a Y pipe from an earlier series, I'm running a 32/36 on a pierce manifold.

Twospeed,
are the fittings you have 11 tpi and if so where did you find them, this is my issue at the moment. I like the clean hard plumbed look you have, but as I have an SV plus the previously mentioned 32/36 I have no port on the manifold

Thanks Derek

twospeed

Donation Time
I believe I tapped them holes to a 3/8 pipe thread and used compression fittings from Home depo.

greenbean

Donation Time
In my car they used the compresion fitting that came off of the earlier series alpine heads that had the water cooled/heated intake manifold (I too have a Series V with the rear connection at the back of the head --- that's the way it came when I bought it). The PO just ran a piece of 5/8 hose from the threaded part of the compression fitting (i.e the compression fitting taken off and the threads exposed = 5/8 od +-) to the "y" at the water pump. I did not like the "wild hose look", so I crafted a 1/2 copper hard tube from the rear of the head to the "y" and painted it black --- I think it looks real clean. I ran the tube from front to back on top of the pierce manifold right next to the weber card about a 1/2 above the manifold. On the one end I used 5/8 hose (about 1.75" long with two hose clamps) on the other end I reduced the copper tube to accept a 1/2 hose (about 1.75" long with two hose clamps) and connected to the 1/2 connection on the water pump. It's all been that way for better than a year, works great, looks great (at least better than the big-o-wild-hose), no leaks and a cooler rear of the head.

Nickodell

Donation Time
In my car they used the compresion fitting that came off of the earlier series alpine heads that had the water cooled/heated intake manifold (I too have a Series V with the rear connection at the back of the head --- that's the way it came when I bought it). The PO just ran a piece of 5/8 hose from the threaded part of the compression fitting (i.e the compression fitting taken off and the threads exposed = 5/8 od +-) to the "y" at the water pump. I did not like the "wild hose look", so I crafted a 1/2 copper hard tube from the rear of the head to the "y" and painted it black --- I think it looks real clean. I ran the tube from front to back on top of the pierce manifold right next to the weber card about a 1/2 above the manifold. On the one end I used 5/8 hose (about 1.75" long with two hose clamps) on the other end I reduced the copper tube to accept a 1/2 hose (about 1.75" long with two hose clamps) and connected to the 1/2 connection on the water pump. It's all been that way for better than a year, works great, looks great (at least better than the big-o-wild-hose), no leaks and a cooler rear of the head.

Some pictures would be great.

greenbean

Donation Time
I have tried to take descent pictures before but the connections are down on the engine where it was really hard to get anything that matters. But in the interest of a few, I shall attempt once again. I am not computer savy like many on the site. So Nickodell, would you be so kind as to send me a pm with your email and I will send to you to up load as I know you have that down to a science ;).

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Devil's advocate here. Tell me again why it's a good idea to run a hose from the back of the Series V head up to an early-Series Y-fitting? Aside from the marginal heat exchange in the length of hose itself, I don't see the benefit. Rootes/Chrysler apparently never saw potential there, blanking off the rear water passage entirely by the end of Series V production.

Nickodell

Donation Time
As overheating seems to be worse in the rear cylinders, whereas the cooled coolant enters, and the heated coolant leaves, the front, perhaps it helps in evening out the cooling and ameliorating overheating.