• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coolant Leak

leigh

Donation Time
I had the coolant tank off of my 62 SII to replace the thermostat. But now coolant is leaking out and I can't for the life of me get it to stop - have had it on and off 3 times to make sure the gasket is properly situated. Are there any tricks or hints? Should I be using sealant?

leigh

Donation Time
It's leaking from the area where the gasket is located between the coolant take and the thermstat stem

Acollin

Donation Time
Is it leaking out while pressurized or with the car not running?
Do you have the equipment to pressurize the tank with the car not running and check for cracking?
That said, I believe cooling system gasket like sealant.
Good luck

leigh

Donation Time
Thanks! That's great advice....it only leaks once the motor is on and it's pressurized. I'll see what I have....I think all my tools are for creating a vacuum, not the other way around.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you reuse the gasket? Probably need a new gasket. Also, I use Hylomar sealant on the cooling system joints on my series V.

Mike

Acollin

Donation Time
Often local auto parts stores might rent or even lend tools. This is exactly the kind of tool they might lend/rent. Also, the tools are fairly common so a local garage might be able to throw a loaner your way. I was able to borrow the tool you need from my neighbor who is a retired mechanic( came with advice).